Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

More Horse Questions>>>>>>>>>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which lasts longer?
high quality tack
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
average quality tack(very well taken care of)
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Other(please state)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: More Horse Questions>>>>>>>>> Reply with quote

Dear sandboxfarm players,

Once again I have a few more questions about horses. you can read all you want in the books, but you never learn as much from them as you do from experienced opinions.
I have a couple more questions if you don't mind?
:~)
(heheheheheh)
Please and thank you
-
Wishful Thinking
Questions=
1: If you own an older ,more experienced horse(around 16), is it possible to ride 3-4 times a week, and do turn outs or even just walks the rest of the week and still maintain a happy,healthy horse?
2: How much does floating usually cost?(on average)
3: What steps do you need to take before going on a trip with your horse, when it comes to viruses etc?
Once, again-Please and THANK YOU!!!!!
I really do appreciate your advice, and THANKS AGAIN!
shadow_spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It depends on how well a horse's condition is and what it's history/breeding is. For example, I've seen a 27 year old gelding Warmblood with a solid build give lessons 6 days a week, and he is still jumping low courses. Of course, this is one extreme, as I have also seen an about 17 year old gelding turn sour every time he gets ridden. So, if your horse has had a rough history, is not quite in shape, or is a scrawny little thing that can't deal with much weight, it would be best to right him lightly. A 16 year old horse can still be extremely active, though. all horses should be ridden at least 3 times a week, unless they are very very old, and all horses benefit from well taken care of pasture with some buddies so, ideally, you would be riding your horse walk trot canter/jumping 3-6 times a week, and be turning him out for a couple hours daily in a paddock/pasture with shelter and some company (i.e., another horse that doesn't pick on him and gets along pretty well, or even a goat, donkey, or some other animal) This can be played with a little, your horse may need lots of turnout and an hour of riding a day, or just some gentle cantering and a stroll around a pasture every once in awhile. Either way, start slow and build up his work scedule (no idea how to spell that) gradually, and make sure he's getting enough feed to supply him with energy. But make sure he gets more feed (if he needs it) gradually too, don't go from a handfull to 3/4 a quart in a day or two. Sorry I wrote you a "novel" and I hope this helps!

P.S., as for floating, this needs to be done at least every other year (and maybe more) and I think it costs along the lines of $100-$350. The first time may be more if he needs any special treatment, like a hook getting ground down or a tooth getting pulled, but that's highly unlikely. Now, I'm going to go and rest my tired arm, lol. Very Happy
~*~*RubyGirl*~*~

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the 16 yr old horse question: It depends on the horse. There is a TB mare at my barn who is 17 who is ridden in lessons all day and performs beautifully. These lessons vary from lead-line to 4 ft courses. This horse had a wonderful history as a dressage/hunter/eventer/foxhunting/and everything else. But, an apaloosa gelding at my farm who is 17 as well, bucks and refuses etc. whenever someone gets on him. This horse was abused in his early life. So, it depends on your horse. PS I'll get in the other answers as well.
Queso

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. it depends on what you plan on doing with your horse. For just leisurly (sp?) trail riding 3-4 days a week with daily turnout its fine, but if you want to do heavy work, 3-4 days isn't really enough days to keep them in good-enough shape. I pesonally do 3 day eventing and I find that I need to ride 5-6 days a week to keep my mare in good enough shape.

2. I believe floating can cost anywere from 100-300$ depending on the vet. My equine insurance will cover some of mine, so it is a bit less for me.

3. It all depends on where you are taking them. If you are going out of state, you need to have a current Coggens (sp?) test and some sort of horse idenificaltion card ( in colorado its your brand inspection. I have one even though my horse has no brand, its kinda bizar Confused I'm not sure what it is for other states though) and I'm pretty sure you have to be up to date with you westnile, but I'm not possitive. If your going to a different country, I think you usually have to check your horse though customs, although its all diferent for every country. For instate stuff it all depends on the requirments of the place your going. In all cases though, its pretty much common sence to have them fully vaccinated and wormed just incase they come into contact with an infected horse.

I hope that helped Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: