Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Horse Riding Help :/

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think spurs will help?
Yes, they're helpful when riding lazy horses
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No, I think that one just needs stronger legs
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
They may help a little, but not that much
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Horse Riding Help :/ Reply with quote

There's a really lazy horse at my barn named Bill. I rode him for the first time on Monday. But all through the lesson he was taking advantage of me ('cause I'm a little small) and ignoring my leg aids, and my crop.

I've seen people ride him with spurs, and he seems to listen better. Do spurs really help, or do you think the other riders just have stronger legs?
wickedrodent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. Im not much help.. but I voted no.. I find that a bit cruel..
Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spurs that most use won't hurt the horse unless you use them in a very, very wrong way.

There's a type of spur though, that can hurt the horse, but most people who have brains will avoid that type of spur.
Karleigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use inch long spurs on my Thoroughbred (she can be a bit lazy sometimes) If your leg doesnt move at the walk, trot, and canter then spurs would be okay. But if your leg wiggles even a little bit, then every stride you will hit the horse with your spur.

If you have any questions ask you riding instructor. They will be able to tell you if spurs are a good idea or not.
Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of Prince of Wales spurs for Christmas, those are also inch-long, I believe.
Bezzella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should try them out, and if they work out then just keep using them. Or get a less powerful horse.
ambrosia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try them. If he works better, good for both of you. If he diesnt change, then try another idea. If he reacts badly remove them. Remember even'dummy' spurs can bruise a horse, so if you use them, be aware to be careful with the amount of pressure. However you shouldnt need alot of pressure.

Good Luck! Very Happy
animal_mad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you could try half-halting which should wake him up a little... if you dont know what half-halting is you give and take on the reins... hope this helps! Wink
Devil_Duckie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

half- halts help, tell me, do you have a short whip or a dressage whip?
i use a dressage whip on my lazy standardbred gelding and it really works because you use it behind the leg, which drives your horse forward more, because a horses power comes from behind. short whips are usally used on the shoulder, so your basicly telling your horse to go backwards. i hoped this helped!
Devil_Duckie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like the idea of spurs much, misuse can really harm your horse.
also with the whip thing, im not sure how experienced you are, so i hope i didint make you feel stupid... Embarassed
Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil_Duckie wrote:
i dont like the idea of spurs much, misuse can really harm your horse.
also with the whip thing, im not sure how experienced you are, so i hope i didint make you feel stupid... Embarassed

I have been riding since October of 2006.

I frequently carry a crop with me, so I'm pretty experienced with crops.

Before I use my spurs I think I'll have a talk with my trainer first Wink
Devil_Duckie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
Alicia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurs are a very beneficial tool for a few reasons. They arent always necessary and can very easily be over and incorrectly used.

In your case, if you use them properly, and he has been exposed to spurs before, they may help. I would talk to your riding instructor if you have one (I assume you're riding at a stable of some sort because you said others ride him with spurs..) Maybe he/she knows or is trying to teach something without the spurs.

I use spurs on most of my horses. When used correctly they are and extension of your heel and allow less movement from your legs to get the horse to lift and collect. My gelding has a lazy back so spurs are necessary to get him to lift through him topline, tighten his underline and lift his front end.

I use a 10-point roller spur, western, on him, and a ball spurs on most other horses. I will not use spurs unless absolutely necessary until the horse is pretty well broke and we go into more specialized training.

The spurs I mention enable me to reach slightly lower, and under the belly a little bit to help teach them to tighten the abdominal muscles and lift through the back-shoulder-withers. I use a rolling motion, running the spur up, releasing at the right point (suspension) and placing them bottom by the time the stride starts over again. It's a timing that you learn. Wink

Anyways, speak with your instructor/the owner of the horse. If you dont have an instructor, maybe speak with some of the riders you've seen ride him in spurs, ask them if they could assist you with him and help you get him to respond as he does to them. If you want, try the spurs but remeber they are there, be lighter with your leg because it will make your cues more instant and if you use the same pressure as you were without them, without thinking about it, he may be startled.

In the mean time, check our own cues. How do you tell him? do you just sit and squeeze and he plods along or do you start by tightening your hips, thighs, knees, lower leg, heel and then rub your heel on his side? The latter is what you should do. Squeeze with increasing pressure starting at the top, down to your heels and then rub your heels on his sides, lift his belly, and continue increasing pressure, while rubbing, until he does something then release in a decreasing pressure. Your seat should always be holding him in a frame, in combination with your heels. Your hands will simply shorten the forward motion, allowing your body to pick him upward. Less face contact=stride lengthening, more forward thoughts and less seat =lengthening of the stride. While, more face contact, allowing the horse to connect to the bit and sitting deep, lifting his back with your seat and heels and thinking upward thought= shorter, collected stride.

Anywho, this si REALLY long. I hope it helps some. Basically that's a riding lesson in writing lol. Use your leg pressures properly, release some when he does what you want, and rub your heels. If your end up using spurs it'll be the same but you will need to be more careful and aware of the spurs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: