Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

INFO ON RABBITS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: INFO ON RABBITS Reply with quote

The family of rabbits and hares (Leporidae) entered North America by the end of the Eocene and underwent most of its Middle Tertiary development there. By the Pliocene (about 7,000,000 years ago) it had become reestablished in Asia and had moved also into Europe. The leporids now extend throughout those ranges and down to the tip of South Africa and as far south as northern Argentina in South America.

The pika family (Ochotonidae) spread from Asia to Europe, where they developed into a number of types in the Middle Tertiary. One of these lines persisted until the late Pleistocene or early modern times (about 1,000,000 years ago) on Corsica and Sardinia. Other ochotonid branches reached Africa and North America in the Middle Tertiary. The extant genus Ochotona appeared in Asia in the Pliocene and spread from there, reaching western Europe and eastern North America in the Pleistocene. The current range of the genus represents a considerable reduction from that during the Pleistocene.

GENERAL FEATURES
Wild lagomorphs are small to small-medium in size, ranging from the smallest pikas, about 150 millimetres (5.9 inches) in length and 100 grams (3.5 ounces) in weight, to the largest hares, 700 millimetres (27.6 inches) and 4.5 kilograms (10 pounds). Wild rabbits range between pikas and hares in size, while some varieties of domestic rabbit may reach up to seven kilograms in weight.
Nearly worldwide in distribution, lagomorphs are naturally absent only from most of the Southeast Asian islands, Australia, New Zealand, Madagascar, southern South America, and Antarctica. Humans have introduced rabbits and hares into areas outside their original ranges for purposes of sport and to provide a readily available food supply. The natural range of the Old World or European rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus, appears to have been southwestern Europe and North Africa; however, in Roman times this species was often introduced to islands, where it flourished, and spread north and east, partly following human agricultural activities, reaching Britain in Norman times. More recently, Oryctolagus was introduced for sport and food into New Zealand and Australia, where the absence of native predators and other factors soon led to its becoming an agricultural pest and a threat to some of the native fauna. In North America several species of the cottontail rabbit, Sylvilagus, have shown an increase in abundance and a broadening of range in areas disturbed by human activity and settlement.But the rabbits would'ent settle they fighted and it became WAR.

Rabbits are very gentle creatures and when they breed there blood goes to the youn.Not many rabbits survive in the wild as it getts harder and harder to get food.Some rabbits get killed and many fracture Bones in the wild and die of pain then the big brids may eat the scraps.Many rabbits also don't have a sense of humor but as we call it to us humans ''Sense'' It is very weird the rabbits do not have ''Sense''

Many Rabbits live in the wild and at houses as we humans call them ''Pets''
Many of us love ''pets'' but many of us are ilgegc.So we gave to sell them.Some also die of not right care and climbing on things they shoulden't.Thats what i mean of sense and ''knowlege''.And when we sell pets some go into the wrong care and get eaten.But most rabbits are leaft themselves because of abandnion.(Abannded) It's very sad for most people......

I will post more!
Dgj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted more!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contributions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: