Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Pit Bulls. All A Myth.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkittleWolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Pit Bulls. All A Myth. Reply with quote

When someone says, "PitBull" almost everyone thinks, "OOOh. What a terrible breed. All they wanna do is kill. Thats all they do, fight. They are blood thirsty beasts." No, they aren't. They are the BEST most loving dog in the world.One of the most heard pit bull myths is that these types of dogs have "locking jaws," meaning that their jaws cannot be pried apart once they get a grip, not ever. In serious cases, this myth even goes to far and people say that a pit bull's jaw cannot even be ripped open with a metal bar if the dog is cold dead.

The real truth is, a pit bull's jaw structure is no different from the jaws of any other dog breed, including your family labrador. No such locking mechanism exists.

Another pit bull-related myth is that these dogs do not feel pain, whatsoever. This is also untrue, they DO feel pain. A pit bull's nervous system is the same as that of any other dog breed. However, because pit bull's are a stubborn breed, they often will continue whatever they are doing despite pain or discomfort.

Along with myths surrounding the physical aspects of pit bulls, there are also a number of pit bull myths associated with the behavior of these dogs. First, many people believe that pit bulls are always aggressive and more likely to attack, maybe even kill their owners and/or other people. This is not true. Pit bulls, like any other dogs, are not agressive without reason or provocation.

•Despite what some people believe, pit bulls actually make great family pets. They are good for children too because they tolorate the rough play. In tests done by the American Temperament Test Society, pit bulls were generally less aggressive when in a uncomfortable situation that made negative reactions out of many other stereotypically "friendly" dog breeds, such as beagles and poodles and labradors.

•Early in the 20th century, pit bulls were actually the Number 1 family dog. No one really knew what a "Pit Bull" was. Never had the thought of them being agressive.

•Dog fighters use the pit bull because they are strong, agile and have a strong desire to please their owners. Unfortunately, pit bulls' abuse in this contributes to the terrible myths with their breed.

•While many pit bulls are trained to be "animal/dog aggressive," this what so ever doesn't mean that they are also "human aggressive." These behaviors are completely different and can be adjusted through firm socialization and training.

There are WAY more things out there in the Pit Bull breed. Think about the Pit Bull breed. Read up more on this. I'm not saying that they won't hurt humans. Even though, every dog has a different personality. Every dog is different. Not every dog meets up with the breed standards. Looks into your local dog pound. They are GREAT dogs. Dog fighters do inhumane things to these fighting dogs. With all the things they do, you can never change a dog's personality. If you are considering a Pit Bull, read up on the breed, make sure it is the right breed for you. Look on... www.petfinder.com
Alabama
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need for a poll on this, so it has been removed.
Drmchaser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, look at the Michael Vick Pit Bulls, even though they were trained to fight, I think 21 of the dogs was able to be saved. When they were rescued the dogs wanted to play with each other and not fight. That shows that these dogs don't want to fight and like you said above they do it to please their owners.
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in all those pit myths, and I don't consider the breed "evil" or anything. However, I do think that bad lines carry the tendency to fight animals. Not necessarily humans, but you can't deny the large amount of pit attacks on dogs and other small animals. The fact is, you've got to be careful when you get a pit dog to train it to treat other animals and humans in a safe fashion. And when well trained and socialized, pits can be as great as any dog.
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, escpiecially from fighting lines sometimes, they wil ahve the tendancy to want to play rougher with the other puppies. With Micheal Vick's dogs, that man just makes me mad. One of tehm was even made a therapy dog!
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit bulls are big dogs with a massive amount of strength not only in their body but also in their jaws, which is why they make such ideal fighters.

However, you should NOT EVER compare any animal breed now to how it was in the past. Over the years, things are bred in and out, changing the whole of the breed completely.

Pit bulls have been bred in some strains specifically for violence, and that is often why people consider them dangerous dogs. That is what they were created for in a sense.

Secondly, Pit bulls are naturally a dominate breed, which is why they are so often found in fights. Just recently it was on the news that a Pit bull attacked a baby that was lying nearby and killed it instantly. This is most likely due to it's intense need to be dominate.

There are innumerable accounts of Pit bull dogs that attack small children, and even adults. Sure other dogs do as well, but a majority of these criminal canines have a Pit bull strain.

Coincidence? Not really. It is due to the breed's fighting purposes.
Narcissa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, I recently was at an adoption day with two pitties. Both were absoultely lovely, and more gentle then one of the Border Terriers! They were, however, powerful,and the female had to have a choke collar because she was so fit. Kind dog, gave massive licks all over your face.

Itis true that you need to know what you are doing with Pit Bulls. If you don't, you will without a doubt have serious problems. The male at the adoption day, Rascal (aptly named), was given up because his family had no idea what to do with him when he got stronger. He was their first dog, and the mother was not able to even walk him by the time he was seven months old. Now, with the training of our resident Shorty Rossi (since she takes most of the Pit Bulls and once broke into a car with a cop's permisson to rescue a kitten), he is a great companion dog. He was playing very sweetly with four tiny puppies!

But yes, you need to know what you are doing to care for a Pit Bull.

(Sorry for the spelling errors, this computer is not letting me rewrite anything after being written.)
*~Trent~*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love pitbulls =]

I think that they are absolutely lovely. You can train any breed to kill, so I find Pit-B's no different. Mastiffs, great danes, wolf mixes, huskies, rottweilers, they can all be it too. Just pitties are on the headlines more often...

Sorry to say, but I have mixed feelings about the baby getting killed thing. Neither child or dog should have been left unattended, so it was owners/parents fault. I have to say though, more of the parents fault. Its not too unusual for your dog to run off, but it is rather odd to leave a baby 'lying around'. And thats whats supposed to happen when parents are faulty, the young gets killed. Of course, we humans have advantages over animals and this case is rare - young getting killed by another species - but it happens to those unlucky...
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I LOVE Shorty Rossi, mainly due to his love of the Breed, and that he focus's on saving adn promoting the breed, and to STOP Breeding. Another breed that are related to dog attacks are Cane Corso's and they are much larger tehn the Pitt Bull but less known. I know a Pitt Bull mix with Border Collie her name is Juliet, she goes adn tackles her woners cats holding them down, a dominent thing. They want me to come and train her lol. We are trying to work out a scheduale she is currently 1 1/2 i belive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: