Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Question about overbreeding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakyFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Question about overbreeding Reply with quote

At the risk of being stoned to death ( Very Happy ) I'm curious to know a few things about overbreeding.

What's the general consensus on the definition of overbreeding?

Why is overbreeding bad if the player doesn't sell the animals? I understand that people are worried that overbreeding floods the market with animals and therefore reduces their price. But since animals' rarity rankings can't change no matter how much they're bred, what is the harm in breeding and releasing?

Why do people get upset when others "overbreed" the animals they publicly put up for stud? I don't understand since they're getting money and they put it up for stud with no restrictions.

I know this is a really sensitive subject but I'm new and I'm here to have fun trying to make interesting combinations.
~~rose~~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there's no penalty except for shame. Overbreeding is considered like aproximatly 5 babies from the same animal in a very short amount of time. It decreases the worth of the other animals. It is looked down upon because lets face it, nobody likes it.
Alabama
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the rankings don't change, you wouldn't pay as much for an animal that is rated AE but with 1000 animals in game as you would for an AE that only had 2 animals in game. So the more you breed an animal, the less SBF cash the animals are worth to other owners in the game.

It's basically a case of supply and demand. If there is a large supply of animals, regardless of what rarity the game says they are, the demand will be less and they won't be as expensive.

Others prefer to play the game as if overbreeding is similar to the real life problem of puppy mills and even though the rarity is overbred, they feel you shouldn't have more than one or two of any one color/breed. Of course, with game mechanics, it's actually better if you only have one, but like you, I like to breed to get new combinations.

Edited to add:
Sorry, been a long day already. If people get upset about you breeding to their publicly studded animal, then they probably need to learn to either put their animals up for stud for more money or not put them up for stud at all.

There is no right or wrong way to play this game and if you want to breed a hundred of an animal, that's your right, just be aware people probably will start removing their animals from public access.
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Alabama and also the reason why you see a couple like END/END or AE that are sterile it is to prevent overbreeding.
Peepers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the animals are never put up for sale how can they effect supply and demand? I've sold a few animals but selling for profit is not the reason I'm playing. I can understand people getting upset if a person tries to sell a lot of the same animal but how can simply breeding it and keeping it or releasing it be a detriment to the "monetary" value of animals? I'm not trying to be snotty, I'm just trying to understand.
FreakyFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry, I just posted from my roommate's account because she didn't log off last time she played. So that message from Peepers is actually from me. Embarassed
Ferox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often try to value animals by doing a search to see how many of those animals are in the game, total. Even if you don't sell, you are affecting the total numbers, and creators can get sensitive about that sort of thing. That's because even if you're not selling any now, you could soon.

It's about the creators too. They put real money into making those animals, and seeing them 'disrespected' in their eyes often causes offence.

It's a sensitive and complicated issue, I know, but asking helps. Mostly issues arise when an animal is put up for sale or stud.
FreakyFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. Thanks for explaining, everyone. Very Happy
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP and i have something for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Need help? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: