Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

NEW overpopulated animal count.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Club Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: NEW overpopulated animal count. Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly when the last count was done. But the TOTAL is from November 09.

American Saddlebred Horse - Was 248
TOTAL IN GAME: 307 23% increase
SALE: 0 STUD: 1
PERCENTAGE OF OWNERS INACTIVE:30% (of total)

Angel Ferret - Was 61
TOTAL IN GAME: 84 37% increase
SALE: 0 STUD: 1
PERCENTAGE OF OWNERS INACTIVE: 32% (of total)

BHMSS** - Was 288
TOTAL IN GAME: 249 13% DE crease
STUD: 0 SALE: 0
PERCENTAGE OF OWNERS INACTIVE: 64.2% (of total)

Belgian Hares - Was 222
TOTAL IN GAME: 229 3.1% increase
STUD: 0 SALE: 0
PERCENTAGE OF OWNERS INACTIVE:

Crabbet Arabian Horse - Was 304
TOTAL IN GAME: 326 7.2% increase
STUD: 1 SALE: 0
PERCENTAGE OF OWNERS INACTIVE:

D*S Norweigian Forest Cat - Was 165NOW
Eclipse (colour) Wolf - Was 32NOW
Friesian Horse - Was 103NOW
GSMD* - Was 96NOW
Gypsy Drum Horse - Was 162NOW
Hairless Guinea Pig - Was 968NOW
Hanoverian Horse - Was 177NOW
Hell Hound - Was 124NOW
Indochinese Tiger - Was 600NOW
Kuvasc Dog - Was 145NOW
Naga (Myth) - Was 36NOW
Nova Scotia DuckTolling Retriever Dog - Was 48NOW
Paint Horse - Was 537NOW
Pappilion Dog - Was 64NOW
Paso Fino Horse - Was 86NOW
Royal Wolf - Was 41NOW
Scottish Fold Cat - Was 277NOW
Shagya Arabian Horse - Was 183NOW
Shetland Sheepdog - Was 48NOW
Shuiba Inu Dog - Was 177NOW
Smooth Coat Guinea Pig - Was 169NOW
Sphynx Cat - Was 264NOW
Warrior Cat - Was 45NOW
Weimeraner Dog - Was 46NOW

Last edited by mash on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ferox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: At what point do we say "This isn't overpopulated anymore" and how often should we do a count? Monthly?
Marlee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a question do the number mean how many are in to game?
Marlee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though they aren't on here Ragdols are 384
Ferox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44 angel ferrets less than 8,
59 less than ten, likely to retire any time now,
and about 28 over 17 stuck with players who aren't taking exams anymore.
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash, as usual, you're friggin' AWESOME!

Ferox, that's a very important question, and I'd like to see others' opinions on that very topic. Here's what I'd like to propose:

* Animals that are well past retirement age (1 year or more for animals with a lifespan of less than 10 years, 2 + years for animals that have higher lifespans) should NOT count when considering their population in the game, nor should sterile animals. We should concern ourselves with the active breeding population.

* Animals that are owned by people that haven't taken an exam in over a year can either be put on an inactive list or ignored entirely. Of course, most of those players' animals will be past reitrement age.

* We can sub-categorize animals in the following three groups:
~ Animals that are overpopulated with unsterilized offspring for sale
~ Animals that are overpopulated with unsterilized offspring for stud
~ Animals that are overpopulated with no offspring for sale or stud

I also believe that we might want to leave the number of offspring from the original creator out of the equation entirely: if they created an animal or color, they have the right to breed as many as they want, but when others take the decision out of their hands, that's where the problem lies. I bred quite a few of my first AE, the Gypsy Vanner horse... many will retire soon, but I'm not worried about the herd I've got - if I didn't want them around, I'd retire them right now!

With that said, I'd like to see what you all think about the following rating system:
* AE animals with over 40 active (not near or at retirement)/whole individuals are mildly overpopulated, 41-60 or more active/whole are moderately overpopulated, and those numbering 61 or more are highly overpopulated.

* Endangered animals with over 70 active/whole individuals are mildly overpopulated, 71-90 or more active/whole are moderately overpopulated, and those numbering 91 or more are highly overpopulated.

* Threatened animals with over 80 active/whole individuals are mildly overpopulated, 81-100 or more active/whole are moderately overpopulated, and those numbering 101 or more are highly overpopulated.

I know that's a fair amount to consider, and I apologize for throwing that out there all at once, but this is an issue that's been discussed for some time, and I want everyone to be on the same page.

Thoughts?

~ Amanda @ Aljan
Ferox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by that definition the Angel Ferret is no longer overpopulated?

I'm still a little hazy on not counting animals belonging to people who haven't taken an exam for a long time. It's a bit of a judgement call, because certain players take a break and then put off taking an exam util they've bred their old animals. They can look unactive but should probably still count. For example, I think Leopardstorm had some old angel ferrets, and they're back in the game.

It probably is worth mentioing whether these animals are for sale or for stud, the average price and the lowest price (excluding steriles). I know you want to restrict breeding but if it costs 100mil to stud a double end, that's probably ok.

Another thing I'm wondering about is can you consider an individual overbred? On other sim games I've played it was considered a faux pas to allow a stud to produce more than 6 offspring. That number would be too low for SBF, but is there a point where you consider a line overpopulated?
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the points we all need to work out, and really, mine isn't the only opinion I want considered.

Feedback, folks - I want FEEDBACK! Very Happy

~ Amanda @ Aljan
sandtiger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Can;t help with feedback much, but are any of my cats some you would suggest releasing all the duplicates of? I think I have a couple of that variations like them on the list but I can't remember... Anyways, Could I help a bit with this? Oh and I think we should counte every month, but weekly would be more up to date..
mash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear lord, lol, I don't have THAT much time to be going through each list detailing weather the animal is owned by a inactive person.....

only kidding. I'll do my best, but can't work miracles. My list might need a little adjusting though to accomodate these sugestions lol ;P
sandtiger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Hate math now! Shocked But I found out the D*S Norweigian Forest Cat numbers that are active.

these are the stats for those who are below the 15 year mark of retirement for cats, there are currently three males of this variation up for stud in whole. I don't think I saw any for sale however.

90 cats in all, I did not count total female or males, but I will.
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash, you crazy-awesome chick, I wasn't asking you to go through and categorize all of this stuff... it was kind of ajumping-off point. Good lord, if there was a "working tirelessly for a thankless cause" list, you'd DOMINATE it!!!!!

Perhaps each of us could monitor one or several target variations or colors and keep this thread updated on progress regarding numbers, intact, non-retirement animals as we discussed in a much earlier thread. What specific variations would each of us like to "adopt"?

Thoughts?

~ Amanda @ Aljan
sandtiger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps using the "adopting" system like you said, we could actully have us forge a couple of them, like say three variation/colors for each of us? Otherwise if that's not possible could the messeage, or such gently and Non-dramatically contact someone? Just trying to throw out a couple of ideas.
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the form letter I'd come up with awhile back regarding contacting people tactfully:

Quote:
This is a rough draft of a form letter I want to compose so that it doesn't take people so long to perform the important task of educating players. Text in black is part of both types of form letters, red text is part of the letter that is aimed at people SELLING/BREEDING too many of a Threatened, Endangered, or Almost Extinct creation, and the blue text is aimed at those STUDDING a Threatened, Endangered, or Almost Extinct creation:

Hi. I'm sending this note on behalf of the Aljan Farms Ethical Breeder's Association. I have noticed that you've got a lot of (enter breed/variation/color here) for sale / for stud on the open market for well below market value at this time. I don't know if you're aware, but by adding large numbers of a certain breed, variation, or color on the market in this manner, you are sharply decreasing the value of not only your own breeding stock, but that of EVERY PLAYER on SBF. This is especially hurtful to the person that created the variation (or color, if it applies).

The only way to keep Threatened, Endangered, and Almost Extinct animals and colors valuable is to keep them RARE. If you would retire the excess animals that have been overbred, or at least take them off the market / take your stud off the market and refrain from overbreeding him, you would greatly help decrease the numbers of (enter breed/variation/color here) and help them retain their value, not to mention avoid hurting the person that created it.

I encourage you not only to consider how your actions affect other players, but to read our club's main page in the Clubs section to learn about ethical breeding practices. We are still recruiting members to spread the word about this subject, and we'd really appreciate your help!

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

(your name)
A.F.E.B.A member

~ Amanda @ Aljan
Ferox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, 'market value' is such a vauge term, I probbaly price thigns higher than most other people. What should an endangered stud be as a minimum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Club Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: