Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Copyright Laws

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Copyright Laws Reply with quote

Desert Fire wrote:
So what is copyright?

Basically it is "right to copy" an original creation. It gives the owner excusive rights (ownership) of their creation. This means the owner has the right to decide what they want to do with it. This includes is permitting or denying others to use their creation. Therefore you cannot take a creation without the owner’s permission.

* Copyright protects: Art, Literature (including website content and types of database), Drama, Music, Layouts, Recordings and Broadcast.
* The copyright symbol
is © but there is also: (c) and (C) or simply writing "copyright". (this may vary across jurisdiction)

Infringement (breaking the law) occurs when someone takes or uses part or all of a copyrighted material without permission. They may make a copy, issue it to the public or use it for self-benefit without asking the owners permission. In this case, the most relevant example is someone taking someone elses art or layout and either using it or claiming it is their own. This is against the law. It is stealing and can be taken to court.

You are responsible for your own artwork and it is strongly advisable not to use any copyrighted material in your artwork.

We would just like to draw your attention to the “Terms of Service, End User License Agreement and Code of Conduct” that you agreed to on signing up for VHR. (Full list of Terms of Service can be viewed here)

As stated in the Terms of Service under “Rules for your Ranch & Club Pages (and any custom HTML pages, images or sections)”:

" All international copyright laws and intelectual property laws apply to your pages and pictures. Violating these laws may result in civil fines and/or imprisonment - for information you can visit here . We may enforce any violations we see by removing code or editing your page.
Breaking the rules excessively will not only result in your the suspension of your use of this game, but will also result in this game feature being taken away for everyone.
Orbis Games Representatives may edit or remove your custom descriptions, code, images, or html with out notice if we see any violations of the rules or feel your page is inappropriate in any way."

We may enforce any violations of copyright laws we see by deleting the offending material.

More in depth definitions of copyright (and sources of this definition) can be found at:
What is copyright?
The UK Patent Office
The United States Copyright Office
Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopaedia

Protecting your own Artwork

We strongly recommend that you put copyrights on your artwork.

The copyright notice should be written as © (first year of creation) (name of owner).
For example:
If my name was Homer Simpson and the year was 2007 - i would write:
© 2007 Homer Simpson

If you do not understand this please ask one of the ops on the forums or on chat Smile

Thank you for reading this Smile

Nefertete and the VHR Game Masters Smile
Sverige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought copyrighting was illigle
Daisy Rabbit Mae

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you take a photo that is copyrighted if it is copyrighted it means it is protected by the law.
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to clarify something to do with copyright:

I understand that if, say, a photo or digital artwork is copyrighted, then you are not allowed to use that without the artist's permission to create a manip, etc, or essentially any piece of work that includes part of the artists original image.

However, is it ok to use such an image as a reference to create your own digital piece? For example using a copyrighted picture of a horse to base the pose of the horse in your image off of? Or using such an image as a reference to get the colour or shading correct? In this case not a single pixel from the original image appears in yours, and every pixel in your image is created by you, it's just that the copyrighted image provided some inspiration.

So is this ok? Or only under certain circumstances? What are the rules regarding using art in this manner?
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is recognizable as the copyrighted work, no. You don't necessarily have to be tracing a photo for it to violate copyright. Hawk's post in the VHR FAQ section is pretty clear and to the point: http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=122689 (You do not need a VHR account to view this topic.)
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that clarified it. So my understanding is that it's ok to use any image as a reference to create your own, but tracing, editing/manipulating, or closely replicating one without the artist's permission is not allowed.
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Artist Alley All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: