Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Photo Manipulations- READ if you make them!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Photo Manipulations- READ if you make them! Reply with quote

Okay, I know photomanips are pretty popular around here. The problem is, a lot of them are just...text slapped on a photo. A lot of them are text slapped on a stolen Google photo. So.

From now on, ALL photomanip sales must also provide links to the original source of the photos. Manips that have been made using copyrighted material will not be permitted, as they violate US copyright law.

Failure to provide links to the stock photos upon request will result in the sale/auction being closed .

If you receive permission to use a photo that is otherwise copyright protected, you MUST provide a scan (written permission) or a screencap (email/message permission) of the message from the photographer. Please edit out YOUR personal info (name, email address, etc) from the screencap/scan.
Daisy Rabbit Mae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it bad if it wasnt copyrighted? im scared and i dont understand wat u r telling me on my manip thing! I need help!
Queso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Khol!

Daisy- If the picture wasn't copyrighted you have nothing to worry about. Using picutres that are copyrighted is against the rules. You need to check the sites you get the pictures from to see if they are copyrighted or not.
Between

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, so many people do not realize that taking a picture from google images is stealing!!
NeverwinterCC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still okay to use unedited google images?
Queso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The images on google are copyright protected, if you use them you are stealing. Instead you need to get your picutres from stock sites, there are several listed on this thread.
NeverwinterCC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean, to use images from google - unedited - as your animal pictures. Not to use them as stock, or a photomanipulation. Just as an image to represent your animal, with no text added or any edits done at all, and from the original source and not uploaded on photobucket or imageshack or other image hosting sites. You arn't stealing as long as you don't claim it as your own or reupload it without permission. At least, that's the policy on deviant art. Not sure if the same goes for here. If you use it as an image on here, it's not exactly reuploading, just image-linking.

Or are those banned for use as images, unedited or not? I try not to use them, anyway, but i'm just curious..
Queso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you need to use stock photos. Hot linking photos (just copying the original link like you described) uses up the original uploader's bandwidth which costs them money. You shouldn't post anything you found anywhere unless you have the owners permission, whether you uploaded it to your photobucket or not.

(Also you don't seem to understand the Deviantart rules either. In a nut shell: if it's not yours and you don't have the artist's permission you can't use it. Think about it like a real life art gallery, you can't just pick up a painting and take it home. Using art (and photography is art) without the artists permission is stealing.)
NeverwinterCC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no google images then! Thanks for the answer! I didn't know about the bandwidth at all, actually.. I've heard it mentioned but never knew what it was.

But Queso; That's what what I said about the deviant art terms. I guess I wasn't clear enough, though.What i understand is; Don't claim the work as your own if it's not edited, don't reupload in any form without proper permission, whether directed directly at you or not in the case of stock. You have to follow their rules, and the same goes with non-stock too.

(What i mean by in the case of stock is, you don't have to ask the artist to use it if the pourpose follows all their rules. It is appreciated if you do, but it's not a rule to ask if they say 'yes, you can for this porpose' to the general public. If it isn't mentioned, or the artist says 'ask first' , then ask, you'll usually get the answer 'Yes'. Unless it breaks the rules, of course, or they don't like the porpuse.(I really cannot spell that word at all))
Queso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I misunderstood your previous post. What I though you were saying was that as long as you are using the direct link its ok to use anything you want, which is defiantly not ok. Reading your second post though I realize that this wasn't what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding Very Happy
NeverwinterCC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

Now anyone who's wondering about this knows! XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Artist Alley All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: