Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Care Schedule Contest *20tokenprize*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Care Schedule Contest *20tokenprize* Reply with quote

Well I have been wanting to hold this contest for a while so now that I have a decent prize to offer I am holding it. For this contest you must choose a farm on Sandbox. It can be your own it can be somebody elses you must write out a care schedule for every animal on that farm. The most detailed and believable schedule will be awarded first place. If you are not sure what I mean here is an example.

Lets say that Caring Citizen Stables is home to
3 dogs
16 cats
20 horses
2 goats
5 savannah cats

Giselle is the owner of Caring Citizen Stables. Every morning she gets up at 4:30 a.m. to begin the morning chores. She lets her three farm dogs out one at a time careful to keep her male away from her female who is in heat. She scoops out a bowlful of Purina Dog Chow for each of her dogs while she cleans the two litter boxes upstairs that her five house cats share. She picks up her Persian cat Princess and grooms the mats out of her hair while the other dogs and cats are eating their breakfast. After she puts her dog Sheldon into his kennel and puts her two female dogs into the bathroom with water for all three she fills up the cats water bowl and starts outside to muck out the stalls.

Hopefully that is a good enough example. The more detailed the better. There is no set length. You must include every animal that appears on the farm the day that you begin to write the care schedule. You may use your imagination as well possibly include a phone call in the middle of the day about one of your animals up for stud. A farm call from your vet,fencing that needs repair etc....... If there are myths on the farm use your imagination on how they would be cared for. As for animals that are real please keep their care accurate for their species. Enter as many times as you want but you can not use the same farm twice.

Prizes

1st prize gets 20 tokens and a breeding to my llama Radiance.

2nd prize gets 500k and a free rescue

Participation prize is 10k

This will end on February 13th if there are atleast 3 entries.

Thanks for reading have fun writing.

Cecelia~thellamallady~
bovi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome idea! I'll do mine, since I know a little more about the animals (even though I have 130 of them, grumble)

4 rats
4 freshwater fish
1 domestic cat
2 ferrets
7 anoles
1 basilisk
3 boas
3 geckoes
2 iguanas
2 pythons
2 turkeys
1 peacock
4 koi
4 saltwater fish
1 preying mantis
1 otter
1 porcupine
4 sheep
33 antelope
1 horse
1 donkey
2 emu
1 tamarin
1 albatross
2 eagles
1 owl
2 vultures
2 badgers
2 lions
1 hippo
1 manatee
1 chameleon
1 marmoset
1 okapi
1 tarsier
1 lobster
1 sea turtle
2 tuatara
1 tasmanian devil
1 wombat
1 elephant
5 gazelles
2 giraffes
1 hirola
1 hyena
2 zebra
3 bison
1 penguin
2 walrus
1 wolverine
1 bear
1 rhino
2 tortoises

This isn't a farm, it's a small zoo! As such it has a faithful flock of employees; Alan, Brenda, Carlos, and Debbie.

Debbie is the first to arrive in the morning; she's in charge of the morning food preparation. On her way to the zoo she picks up a crate of bananas, two of lettuce, some mixed fruits and vegetables, and several frozen chickens. She tells the vendor that she works for a restraunt; most of the other pre-dawn customers are from restraunts, and this way they don't try to sell her lower quality goods. Produce inspected and packed, she drives up to the zoo. First she stops in to check on her feeder colonies; small goldfish, medium sized rats, crates of crickets and a barrel of earthworms. She cleans their enclosures and feeds them fish flakes, rat chow, calcium powder and recycled paper respectively. That done, she chops up some fruit for the primates, chickens for the large carnivores, rats and crickets for the reptiles. She's still working when Alan, Brenda, and Carlos arrive.

Alan is the hoofstock keeper, and he has lots of charges! He first goes to the barn to let out the horse, sheep, and donkey. He sweeps out the barn behind them and grives them all fresh water in their stalls. Then he goes out to the pasture to put fresh water in their troughs and put out fresh hay. Next he moves on to the larger barn, which houses the other ungulates. The antelope and gazelles go out to pasture, with the mature males seperated to precvent fighting. Alan stops to check the fence, but finds it sturdy enough to contain gazelles who can jump eight feet from a stand still. They get alfalfa bales, which is more nutritious for the ruminants than hay. The okapi and giraffe go into their respective enclosures and are fed a combination of alfalfa and new-growth leaves left at head height.

The bison, who overnight in a shed rather than a barn, get some fresh hay. Later today they will be rotated to a new pasture, which has been allowed to grow up for a month since they last grazed there.

He moves on to the larger herbivores; the elephant and rhino. While in the elephant house, he e-mails the director of the asian elephant SSP, to see if any more information has come in on the possible breeding by artifical insemination. The small zoo is not equiped to house a bull elephant, but could handle more females or young. While Alan spends a good deal of time with her everyday, it would be better if she could socialize with other elephants. No response yet, so he spends a few minutes training her to give her feet, which could aid in drawing blood or general foot maintanance which is highly important for elephants. He feeds her and gives her a couple of novel toys while her pool fills with fresh water. After he lets her into the yard, he goes to the rhino. She gets some hay and her building cleaned. He notes some rust on the enclosure, and calls the grounds keeper to take care of it.

Brenda is in charge of the rest of the large animals. She starts with the hippo and manatee, cleanign the filter on their large pool and skimming the debris of leaves and leftover hay off the top. She drops some lettuce into the pool as a treat for both, as well as some hay. She rubs some salve into the manatee's back where she had a run-in with a motor boat. The manatee drifts at the surface, seemingly enjoying it. The manatee with be released to the wild once her wounds have healed, but it could be many months before the scars heal enough for her to move with any agility.

She then goes to the lionesses and hyena. It's not their day to be fed, and they lounge lazily in the morning sun. She will wait until midday, when they come inside to escape the harcher midday sun, to clean out their exhibits. For now she gives them fresh water and makes sure they have no injuries.

The bear, however, is being fed today. She gets a chicken, some fruit, a some browse. While she is occupied, Brenda brings in a new toy- a plastic tub. When she's finished with her meal, she begins inspecting it, and Brnada watches for a moment to make sure the bear isn't going to injure herself with it before moving on.

Finally, she brings a couple of buckets of fish for the walruses. She's been working for months to train them; not just interesting tricks but helpful things like walking onto a scale, offering a flipper, opening their mouths and letting their tusks be handled by the vet dentist. She recieved a call yesterday about giving a talk at another Zoo as to how to train the sometimes dangerous large animals. She returns the call, and gives them a couple of floating balls to play with.

Carlos is in charge of the herps and fish, and gets to work. The koi are low maintainance; they clean their own tank, so he just throws them some food. The freshwater fish are also fairly simple, getting some fish flakes. He makes sure all the fish get enough to eat in the community tank. The saltwater tank, he checks the filter and the water chemistry. The pH is dipping slightly, so he adds the appropriot chemicals before feeding the fish. The seahorses require special brine shrimp fry, so he pulls some out of a smaller tank off to the side to feed them. He pulls out the puffer fish, who was harassing the smaller sea horses, and puts him in another empty saltwater tank that he had been keeping live rock in. The last, large aquarium holds a sea turtle and a lobster. He checks their water chemistry, and throws in several feeder fish.

The herps are similairly simple. The seven anoles are split into several breeder tanks with one male and a couple of females in each. He stops to make sure nonw of the females are being harrassed, adjusts the humidity, and adds their gut-loaded crickets. He has to seperate one male so the females can catch their crickets without him stealing them. The geckos are housed similarly, but in addition to crickets get moths and nectar. All get spray-bottle humidity. The iguanas get some greens and the pythons and boas are not being fed today. One of the red-tailed boas was aquired from a rescue and was being fed live mice, so he has been trying to teach it to accept thawed frozen mice which is not only more humane for the mouse, but safer for the boa. The basilisk is being quarentined for shipment to another facility, and he checks to make sure that it has plenty of food and water and that the transport cage is scure. The preying mantis gets a cricket and a moth along with some water, as does the chameleon.

Debbie, who has finished with the food preparation, gets the small mammals and birds. She starts with the penguin, who was excited by smelling the walrus' fish from earlier. He gets some fish, and a few popsicles as a treat.

Next she stops by the petting zoo, and feeds the cat some catfood, the turkeys some tukey food, and normal chow for rats and ferrets. She checks them for fleas, just in case. They don't have any, so she moves on. She has to catch the peacock before she can feed it, because if she leaves his food out the turkeys will eat it. She's not sure why the peacock would be afraid of the turkeys, but she doesn't want him fighting and losing any of his considerable plumage. The otter gets some fish and the porcupine gets some fresh browse. The otter also gets a water change in his pool, which is begining to smell like fish and wet fur.

Technically the emu are birds, so she goes to feed them next. She sees that they've been harassing the horse through the fence so she puts up a barrier of old troughs. They make hissing noises, but leave it alone. The tamarin, marmoset, and tarsier get a mixed omnivore diet, which she hides amoung branches for them to look for. She gives them their tasty fruit before the birds come out to steal it from them.

Next she moves on to the aviary. The eagles get fish and chicken, the albatross gets fish, the owl gets rats and the vultures get chickens. She checks to make sure none of them need their nails trimmed. It looks like one of the vultures may have laid an egg, so she goes to investigate. It turns out the egg was not fertile, but she makes a note of it in her log.

Next are the badgers, who also get omnivore diet, with a rat thrown in as a treat. She notices that they have been digging, so she makes sure they aren't close to hitting the foundation of the fence and throws in some straw for them to dig through and look for bugs in.

Now are the tuatara. These animals are highly rare in zoos, and each is limited to having one breeding pair. Unfortunatly, it turns out that both of their breeding pair are females! She has been doing some research, but artifical insemination of reptiles is still difficult, and no institution wants to lend out their male since it might take months or years for them to warm up to the females enough to mate. Still, she makes some calls before she feeds them.

This leaves the wombat, the tasmanian devil, the wolverine, and the tortoises. While tuataras and toirtoises are technically herps, they live outside with the small mammals so she takes cafe of them. The tortoises get lots of green veggies, and a good scratch on the neck. In the wild, they would scratch each others' necks to get rid of parasites. In the zoo there aren't many parasites, so they just enjoy the interaction. The wombat gets greens too, but she doesn't get too close! This herbivore has a powerful set of claws and jaws for anyone who may think they're cuddly. The tazmanian devil is a loan, and she's spent several weeks teaching him to enter his crate on command. She spends another few minutes doing that before feeding him. The wolverine snarls at her as she tosses in his food, and she ignores him, since she isn't close enough to his enclosure to get nipped.

The four keepers stop for lunch, and share their conscerns over a quick meal overlooping the hippo and manatee swamp. They watch the few weekday visitors stroll by, and smile and wave to them. Their day is only halfway done, but they love what they do, so they get back to work!
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome bovi! Exactly what I am looking for! Good job! Feel free to enter again if you get some time that must have taken a while! Thanks so much for entering I learned some stuff about some species from your care schedule. Smile Great creativity level Smile
bovi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hope other enter, I thought this was lots of fun, and I enjoyed reading your sample one as well!
DesertBreesze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm in..... who's farm shall I do? Ha not Misty Glen's or keema's as that'd take me forever. Hmm..... maybe I'll do Cecelia's? Anyway I'll post it here soon.
DesertBreesze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here it goes!

Farm: Sassy Farm
Owner: Cecelia
Animals: 41
31 Camelids-
30 Common Llamas
1 Huacaya Alpaca

6 Horses-
2 Ponies
4 Thoroughbreds

4 Camels

It's early in the morning on Sassy Farm, Cecelia wakes up to another
bright and sunny day. She is quick to get up and ready for a brand new
day.

Cecelia checks in on the llamas first, there generally always up before
anyone else and always hungry! She gives them fresh feed and water
to fill them up. She also checks them over to ensure they have no cuts
or injuries. Cecelia especially takes her time with Sass' Just another
Amie and Sass' Lover Boy, as they are both quite elderly. She slips a
treat to Amie & another camelid Sass' Cherry Jubilee who are both
rather special to her.

Once she's done that she leaves the llamas in peace to finish off there
breakfast. Then it's off to tend to the horses. Some bran mash is in
order for the equines, as it is quite cold. All of the horses and ponies
are seniors so Cecelia makes sure they are well cared for. Sass'
Starronara is a mare who has a special place in Cecelia's heart. She is
gentle with her as she gives her a once over like the llamas. All Sassy
Farms animals get a quick health check every morning while they're
given food and drink.

Then finally the camels, they are rather anxious to be fed.

After all the feeding is done, the animals are let out into there
seperate paddocks. All of the older female llamas go out together, then
the younger females have their own turf and finally all the males get
their own space.

Sass' Starronara and the two ponies get to go out to there cosy
paddock, while the other 3 TBs get their field all to themselves.

Of course not forgetting the camels! The 4 of them to have their little
place to got to.

Now Cecelia has to clean out all the stalls, hard work! But she is
content as it contributes to her animal's wellbeing. It takes her two
hours to clean them all. Once she's done, the water and feed buckets
need a good scrub to clean out all the bacteria.

Another hour gone, Cecelia is able to grab a quick lunch before
heading to the horses. A quick lunging session is in order for them, as
they are to old to be riden. Lunging keeps them fit and happy, as does
a good groom. Sass' Dappled Feather seems pleased with herself as she
has managed to get a rather impossible stain on her hindquarter.

The llamas are up next for a clean. But it's not all plain sailing as it
seems Sass' My Harrington doesn't want to be clean, A half hour is
wasted trying to get him bathed! Oh well, he's not crystal white but
close enough.

Thankfully the camels are more willing! Then again the sand was quite
tricky to get out and Sass' Frankincense did step on Cecelia's toe!Ow!

Finally all the animal's are brought in and fed there nightly feed. All
are given another once over and finally the days over! Cecelia survived
another day at Sassy Farm!

-DesertBreesze
Cecelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great entry! I'm glad there is some interest in this contest! I was wondering if anybody would do my farm you did a very good job Breesze! Smile Thanks for entering
DesertBreesze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile No problem, nothing to do so it helped kill time!

-DesertBreesze
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This contest is being extended until the 21st.
If there is not one more entry by then it will be cancelled.
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I chose a small farm owned by ClaraLou...

Farm Name: Willow Farm
Owner: ClaraLou
Animals:

10 Cats
43 Dogs
1 Iguana
1 Parrot
1 Donkey
21 Horses
1 Lion

Clara's alarm clock goes off at 5:00 on a bright, sunny Monday morning. It's the first day in March and there is always TONS to do at the beginning of the month. First, Clara goes to the Domesticated Cat Bed. Her favorite kitties, Red and Huggable meet her at the door, purring and rubbing up against Clara's legs. After giving them a quick pet each (and sneaking Red a kitty treat), she carefully checks each cat over, from front to back. Luckily there were no injured cats today, lately two of her males ( Mischeaf and Sam) had been going at it, but they seem to have left each other alone last night. Clara then strides over to the litter boxes to do the dreaded chore. She carefully carries each litter box to the hose out side and after emptying them out, uses the high powered hose to clean out any extra sticky stuff (she does this once a week). Then after thoroughly drying each litter box, Clara carries them back to the Cat Bed and fills them with clean, fresh smelling litter. With that chore done, she checks the food dishes. They are empty, as usual. She takes them out to the hose as well, making sure that everything is cleaned out. After drying, she takes them back to the Cat Bed, and fills them with only the best quality cat food available. Then she cleans the water dishes out, the same as the food dishes and litter boxes. After all the extra residue has been washed away, she fills the bowls with clean, unchlorinated water. Finally, Clara's done with the kitties.

Now, she heads over to the K-9 Kennel, where she houses all 43 dogs. As she enters, the dogs seem to go crazy at the thought of food! Clara smiles and then goes to the first dog kennel. Kalma, her Golden Retriever, is overjoyed to see her and when Clara bends down to pet her, Kalma gives her a big lick on the cheek. After wiping off the excess drool, Clara checks Kalma over, to make sure that she is healthy and fit. After she is sure that the Retriever is fine, she slips her a biscut and heads to the next kennel where Heartly, her Terrier waits patiently. She checks him over as she did with Kalma, and after treating him as well, she moved on to the next kennel. Clara did this through all of her dogs, giving special attention to Dolly, her 10 year old Shepherd Dog. Clara had always favored Dolly and had a special bond with her. After every dog had been checked over, Clara grabbed a leash and one by one, led every dog out side to "do-their-business". Luckily, every dog was potty-trained and there was no need for poop scooping in the kennel this morning. Now that every dog had relieved it self, it was kibble time! Clara took each food dish out, one by one and cleaned them out side with the hose. Then she dried them, filled them with kibble appropriate for the dog (example: Genasis, the Dingo is very athletic and needs food that gives her lots of calcium and protein) and placed them in the correct kennel. Then it was time for the water. Clara cleaned each water dish and filled it with the same clean, unchlorinated water that she used for the cats. Whew! That was a lot of work. But we still aren't done with the dogs yet! Clara then grabs each dog and puts them in their assigned runs. She only is able to keep 4 dogs at the most in each run, so she has to choose the ones that get along the best. Now, Clara is finally done and heads over to the Vivarium...

Here her job is easy, but still takes time. Lenny, her Iguana, is a friendly guy, but not cuddly like the cats and dogs. He keeps his distance, only coming over once to greet Clara. After that he slowly crawls away to his hollow log, where it is dark and quiet. Clara shrugs and cleans out his cage. It is not that hard, as he doesn't excrete all that much. After that job is done. She cleans the water dish, fills it then gets to the really nasty part of Iguana care. Clara carefully opened a bag of "special" feed she had ordered not long ago. As she did the contents hopped out. Clara gave a shiver. She really didn't get how Lenny could stand to eat grass hoppers, and she has never really likes bugs any way. After quickly emptying the bag, she hurries and leaves Lenny to his breakfast.

Happy to be out of there, Clara walks over to the Pasture...

I have to get off the computer now. I'll finish mine later!

Bratterratt Very Happy

P.S. Sorry if this is boring, but I'm not quite sure what to do!
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bratterratt. Its not boring at all I can't wait till when you finish the care schedule Smile
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright this contests is closed.
Now for the prizes

1st prize: bovi will recieve 20 tokens and a breeding to my llama Radiance. Please pm me for details Smile

2nd prize: DesertBreesze will recieve 500k and a free rescue. Please pm me for details.

Thanks for entering Bratterratt but I had to place them above you because your entry was incomplete. Thanks you three! Smile
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I'm sorry. I didn't have time to finish! You should do this again! Congrats to the WINNER!!!

Bratterratt Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: