Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Overpopulated animal count!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Club Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a great idea. What animal do you think needs it most?
mash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm game for having a go. Although I do kinda buy/steralize and release various animals anyway, as and when I can.

Maybe we could concentrate on one animal per month, as a group so to speak. I don't know if it would work, but specifying in a certain animal sounds good also.
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would we like to consider for our first joint effort? Ragdolls? Shagya Arabs? Something altogether different?

Let me know which variation or color is highest on your "WHY are there so many of these?!?!" list, folks... I'd like to get moving on this.

~ Amanda @ Aljan
Sleek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we need to get this moving. There are no Ragdolls on the market. I will look at the list on the 1st page
Sleek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a dog, cat, horse, or Guinea Pig??
koneko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can pm people who have thier AE animals up for stud Laughing

EDIT: Starkat320 has a ragdoll up for stud, she is still active
A. L. Aljan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be VERY tactful when approaching people about breeding/studding/selling.... some may listen, and some may get defensive, especially if the person writing the letter says something that offends the recipient...

Proceed with caution!!!

~ Amanda @ Aljan
PS... how's the Shagya situation? Should we target THAT one this month? I know poor odin's gotta be going out of her head with the way that turned out.
mash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a good place to start. I recall seeing some problems regarding the Shagya's recently, and I know they are way out of control.

When I get a spare hour or two I will update the overpopulated count list.

At the mo I've got a LOT on my plate lol. But I will get round to it eventually Smile
Sleek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i think that that is a good idea. There are a lot of 2 and below up for stud, some at very low prices
koneko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if AEs go extint? THere are only 3, over 20 yr ocicats left
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koneko wrote:
What happens if AEs go extint? THere are only 3, over 20 yr ocicats left

The original creator has the ability to create more (using the Foundation Pair option), however if that person stopped playing or chooses not to, then there will simply not be anymore. They will still exist on the variation list, but there will not be any in the game.

Just wondering too if you planned to update the numbers list any time soon. It's a bit outdated Smile
mash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash wrote:
I think that would be a good place to start. I recall seeing some problems regarding the Shagya's recently, and I know they are way out of control.

When I get a spare hour or two I will update the overpopulated count list.

At the mo I've got a LOT on my plate lol. But I will get round to it eventually Smile

Yeah Khol, I've alreday said that once I get spare time I'll update Razz
Sleek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEN are we going to start the project???
mash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok list has been updated (See first post) and quite frankly I'm appaled at the increase in MOST of these already overpopulated animals.

I find this not only disheartening but very frausterating. Mad
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the majority of these figures are as bad as you think they are. Since a lot of players end up leaving the game before their animals die or get released, then the population is rarely going to decrease, and even the slightest amount of breeding will make it increase. It's all about birth rates and death rates, however 'death' only takes into account when the animal is released or goes to florida. it does not take into account when an animal becomes inactive due to the owner quitting. without taking into this factor your values for population will not give an accurate reflection of the breeding habits of players, hence rendering them meaningless.

You're right in that it should be the change in population we should be looking at, however I still think you're approaching the issue the wrong way. it is not a case of 'the larger the increase, the larger the problem'. A breed with a large population is going to increase quicker than a breed with a small population, simply because the former has more players involved in breeding, but that does not necessarily mean any of those players doing the breeding are breeding unreasonable amounts of offspring.

A better figure to use to determine current breeding trends is the percentage increase of population. For example, if at one point the population of Breed A is 500 and the population of Breed B is 10, and four weeks later the populations of each have increased by 50 animals, then the figures would read:
Breed A: 10% increase in 4 weeks = 2.5% increase per week as of dd/mm/yyyy
Breed B: 500% increase in 4 weeks = 125% increase per week as of dd/mm/yyyy
So even though Breed A has the larger population, it is Breed B that we should be concerned about. The time frame is very important here, since an increase of 50 animals over 4 weeks is clearly nowhere near as bad as an increase of 50 animals over 1 week. You will find the figure, percent increase per week, to be useful to keep track of how breeding trends are changing. If over time this value is seen to be getting smaller or staying steady, then people are being pretty reasonable about breeding. If however you suddenly see a sharp spike, then you have an over-breeder on your hands and you can respond to that situation.

So to clarify, the data you need is past population, date when this was recorded, current population, and date when this was recorded. From there you can calculate the rate of increase of population, which is a value that is comparable between breeds and species, and accurately reflects the breeding activities of players. Also keep track of all previous values of this figure, as the overall trend will also be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Club Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: