Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

How do you bring in an aggressive horse from the field?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what is your favorite pass time activity?
reading
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
horseback riding
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
other sports(soccer,basketball tec.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: How do you bring in an aggressive horse from the field? Reply with quote

OK so- bringing in fiesty horses really isn't that hard, if you know how to handle them- BUT what about and extreamly aggressive horse for seemingly NO reason? He isn't ridden hard, he's always groomed well, stand still for farrier work, and doesn't mind the vet but just bringing in! You get any where near him in the field and he runs off, charges you, bucks bites or pushes you over with his body.WHAT DO I DO?
Bezzella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrots? Try already leaving his halter on in the paddock to make it easier. It may be a little less safe, but it is much more convenient. Get an old leather "Paddock" halter that would break if he caught it on something.

I reccomend trying to get him to be more active in the pasture. Maybe chase him around a little with some friends so that way he will be a little more worked...

They do that to some of the harder horses to catch at the barn I ride at.
Cowgirls Rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzella wrote:
Carrots? Try already leaving his halter on in the paddock to make it easier. It may be a little less safe, but it is much more convenient. Get an old leather "Paddock" halter that would break if he caught it on something.

I reccomend trying to get him to be more active in the pasture. Maybe chase him around a little with some friends so that way he will be a little more worked...

They do that to some of the harder horses to catch at the barn I ride at.
No dont treat them if you do they will become really nippy and bite you.
Bezzella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently this horse already is. I treat my horses a ton and none of them bite. I think treats will help tell the horse once they are in your care it is good, and when they are away from you it is not as good, making them want you.
Cowgirls Rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzella wrote:
Well apparently this horse already is. I treat my horses a ton and none of them bite. I think treats will help tell the horse once they are in your care it is good, and when they are away from you it is not as good, making them want you.
Well.....my trainer says that you should reward them with a nice pet to make them know that they did good.You wouldnt want to treat train a dog because then they are always looking for the treat.
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you bring in an aggressive horse from the field? Reply with quote

~Wishful Thinking~ wrote:
He isn't ridden hard,

Sounds like maybe he needs a few good, hard workouts. Get him really tired, work off some of that energy and keep him from redirecting it into aggression. It's very similar to dogs. If you don't meet their exercise needs, they find other ways to keep themselves busy, and it usually turns into destructive or aggressive behavior. Try a week of hard riding/longing...work him until he's sweaty every day and see if that does anything.
Cowgirls Rule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you bring in an aggressive horse from the field? Reply with quote

Kholran wrote:
He isn't ridden hard,

Sounds like maybe he needs a few good, hard workouts. Get him really tired, work off some of that energy and keep him from redirecting it into aggression. It's very similar to dogs. If you don't meet their exercise needs, they find other ways to keep themselves busy, and it usually turns into destructive or aggressive behavior. Try a week of hard riding/longing...work him until he's sweaty every day and see if that does anything.
Yeah I agree.He needs to be worked hard because its like if someone kept you in your room for weeks and you never got out.
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition...it sounds as though he really doesn't respect you at all. You're below him in the herd and so he's not going to listen to a thing you say. You've got to establish yourself as the herd leader or else he's never going to respect you. Does he act this way for everyone, or is it just you? If there's someone who can go right up and catch him, ask them what they did or observe how they approach him. If not, you've got a lot of work to do, because he sees himself as the top of the ladder and everyone else is beneath him.
Gold Hope Stable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has he been gelded if not that could be part of the problem
Galen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often is he turned out?
In what size field?
With how many other horses?
What does he do when he is brought in?
When he does this, WHAT HAPPENS? Does he stay outside, get treats, get yelled at.....

If he is out a lot, and only is brought in to work, he may have developed the habit of being the toughest one to catch. Mentality- if I don't get caught, I can stay out here being a horse. Especially true if something painful happens every time he comes in (even if it is just a poorly fitting saddle).

If he is brought in every day to something pleasent, and still has this attitude, some modified round pen work may be beneficial. The area must be small enough that if he does not want to come up to you, you can ask him to move forward briskly (canter/lope) for several minutes. Remember, you will probably have to run a bit to keep him moving, so keep the area small. Razz Stop asking him to move, and give him the opportunity to approach you politly, or let you approach him quietly. If he gets rambuncitious, he gets to work again for several minutes. You keep doing this until he figures out that the most pleasent, work free place to be is with you.

Give yourself several HOURS the first few times you do this, JUST IN CASE. It may only take him 10-20 minutes to decide he would rather walk nicely with you, or it could take hours. Once you start this, you should NOT stop until you get the result you want.
Fawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Galen. In the herd, if a horse benieth the herd leader misbehaves, he's driven out as punishment and reminder of where his place is. The herd leader demands respect (thats what he may be doing with you when he charges, driving you out, demanding respect). A horse feels the most safe with the herd, and therefore with the herd leader, so adventually he'll realize that in order to be safe, he'll have to have some manners. If you're in a small space such as Galen suggested, it would be a good idea to drive the horse out (make him work; lope around the pen until he sweats or decides to approach you politely) until you've established that you're the boss-and until he figures that out, he's gunna work.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you bring in an aggressive horse from the field? Reply with quote

Kholran wrote:
He isn't ridden hard,

by that i mean as in its not like we whip him and ride him till he collapses or abuse him or anything like that. averaging out 1-2-3 rides a day
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kholran wrote:
In addition...it sounds as though he really doesn't respect you at all. You're below him in the herd and so he's not going to listen to a thing you say. You've got to establish yourself as the herd leader or else he's never going to respect you. Does he act this way for everyone, or is it just you? If there's someone who can go right up and catch him, ask them what they did or observe how they approach him. If not, you've got a lot of work to do, because he sees himself as the top of the ladder and everyone else is beneath him.

well yes an no...not really just me but sometimes yea..its hard to explain.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Hope Stable wrote:
has he been gelded if not that could be part of the problem

yes he has been
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen wrote:
How often is he turned out?
In what size field?
With how many other horses?
What does he do when he is brought in?
When he does this, WHAT HAPPENS? Does he stay outside, get treats, get yelled at.....

If he is out a lot, and only is brought in to work, he may have developed the habit of being the toughest one to catch. Mentality- if I don't get caught, I can stay out here being a horse. Especially true if something painful happens every time he comes in (even if it is just a poorly fitting saddle).

If he is brought in every day to something pleasent, and still has this attitude, some modified round pen work may be beneficial. The area must be small enough that if he does not want to come up to you, you can ask him to move forward briskly (canter/lope) for several minutes. Remember, you will probably have to run a bit to keep him moving, so keep the area small. Razz Stop asking him to move, and give him the opportunity to approach you politly, or let you approach him quietly. If he gets rambuncitious, he gets to work again for several minutes. You keep doing this until he figures out that the most pleasent, work free place to be is with you.

Give yourself several HOURS the first few times you do this, JUST IN CASE. It may only take him 10-20 minutes to decide he would rather walk nicely with you, or it could take hours. Once you start this, you should NOT stop until you get the result you want.

thanks! that sound knowledgable. i'll see what i can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: