Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Dog Agility Questions PLEASE HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you think is more popular in the US?
Dog Agility
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Horse Shows
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 9

~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Dog Agility Questions PLEASE HELP Reply with quote

My dog doesn't do so well with the tunnel for what I've done with him. He is fine with "over"(jumps) and "under"(under obstacles) + "weave" (will weave a couple poles) and the pausing moment etc. I'm having trouble getting him to trust the tunnel and A-frame. He is kinda scared to go through the tunnel even if I make it a positive experience (playful and easy) and the A-frame is to "high" for him (not size wize) but like he is kinda scared of that too. He is a medium sized dog and he is super fast but I don't have any other ideas for the A-frame or tunnel. Anyone have any advice, comments or hepl? Rolling Eyes Very Happy Thanks!
LouLou07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried putting treats in the tunnel or going in first as if you go in he may want to follow you
odinsdottir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing to understand with the tunnel issue..... dogs dont mind dark places, nor going through solid tunnels. the issue arises because the tunnel is "collapsed" and thus a fear of being trapped arises. They can't Hear as well in there, and all they can smell is other dogs (potentially threatening). Since dogs rely more on scent and hearing than sight, you can imagine how it could be super scary.

So how do we help?

Well one thing to try is remove the fear of the "trapped" by snuggling under a blanket with the dog for a few minutes every now and then. Once comfortable with that, throw the blanket on them (gently), and call them out with a treat. Be aware that short coated dogs can have serious dislikes for anything approaching CRAWLING... so make it worth the temporary discomfort.

With the tunnel itself... climb through first... leave favourite treats.... SHORTEN the tunnel.... build the confidence bit by bit.

As for the A-frame.... a few questions for you.... are the dogs nails really in need of a trim? is the A-frame fixed to the ground or a temporary affair?

odinsdottir *hoping she helped a little*
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouLou07 wrote:
Have you tried putting treats in the tunnel or going in first as if you go in he may want to follow you

Sort of Kind of. I've tried the treats part but then all he looks for is treats and he finds ways around it. I haven't tried going in before him though that's a good idea.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odinsdottir wrote:
A thing to understand with the tunnel issue..... dogs dont mind dark places, nor going through solid tunnels. the issue arises because the tunnel is "collapsed" and thus a fear of being trapped arises. They can't Hear as well in there, and all they can smell is other dogs (potentially threatening). Since dogs rely more on scent and hearing than sight, you can imagine how it could be super scary.

So how do we help?

Well one thing to try is remove the fear of the "trapped" by snuggling under a blanket with the dog for a few minutes every now and then. Once comfortable with that, throw the blanket on them (gently), and call them out with a treat. Be aware that short coated dogs can have serious dislikes for anything approaching CRAWLING... so make it worth the temporary discomfort.

With the tunnel itself... climb through first... leave favourite treats.... SHORTEN the tunnel.... build the confidence bit by bit.

As for the A-frame.... a few questions for you.... are the dogs nails really in need of a trim? is the A-frame fixed to the ground or a temporary affair?

odinsdottir *hoping she helped a little*
thanks! yes we trim his nails about every month or so depending on how long they are. The A-frame? I don't know. Good question. Thanks let me look into that.
Baranduin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: tunnel Reply with quote

After your dog learns to go through a shortened tunnel (have someone hold your dog while you walk through to the otherside and bend down and call him to you), always talk to your dog while you move to the oppisite side. Some dogs get afraid that you will disapear on them. Your voice will help to relieve that fear.
Baranduin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: A-frame Reply with quote

My old agility dog had a fear of the Aframe and we solved it by doing this....it sounds crazy, but we used it on several dogs after and it worked surprisingly well.

1. Walk up to the Aframe with your dog and place your dogs front paws up on it giving a command (we always used the word step), do this until your dog willingly places his front paws on the Aframe (don't ask for him to go up it).

2. After he is at ease with that, next ask him to step higher (always ask him to come down the same side).

Keep repeating step 2 until your dog reachs the top.

Once your dog reaches the top, at some point he'll decide that it's just as easy to go down the otherside. It may take a 2 or 3 weeks, but he'll get there.

Important Do not force your dog to go over, you will destroy his confidence and set your training back.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A-frame Reply with quote

Baranduin wrote:
My old agility dog had a fear of the Aframe and we solved it by doing this....it sounds crazy, but we used it on several dogs after and it worked surprisingly well.

1. Walk up to the Aframe with your dog and place your dogs front paws up on it giving a command (we always used the word step), do this until your dog willingly places his front paws on the Aframe (don't ask for him to go up it).

2. After he is at ease with that, next ask him to step higher (always ask him to come down the same side).

Keep repeating step 2 until your dog reachs the top.

Once your dog reaches the top, at some point he'll decide that it's just as easy to go down the otherside. It may take a 2 or 3 weeks, but he'll get there.

Important Do not force your dog to go over, you will destroy his confidence and set your training back.

Hmmmmmmm that makes a whole lot more sense. I'll try it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: