Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

*Shrugs* Heres another Suggestion I have...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this a good idea?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Kind of...
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Odelette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: *Shrugs* Heres another Suggestion I have... Reply with quote

Ok I had an idea that might be good for some people. I like always enter art events and then I never win because there are always people who are way better and have been doing art longer. So why dont we have people make art events for newbies just starting out on art like me? Maybe some nice people could make some for us starting out on art? Rolling Eyes This way it will be fair for us I think if we are seperated from the more experienced people who make art. Then maybe we could have a graduation or something? (I dont know? Laughing ) saying that you are now moving up and are a better art maker or something. But the main point is the newbie art contests. I might have another suggestion later with the whole graduation thing Smile So tell me your thoughts positive and negative all are welcome and I dont care ifthere negative Razz for now..... Twisted Evil Ok just comment here!
dreams of a champion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea. I might be willing to hold a contest like that. Smile
Odelette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Smile
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a very good idea!
penguin899

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea! Next time I hold a contest I consider that!

You make good suggestions..
Angelicious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...
[begin,rant]It's a good idea, and I'm sure it'd be really nice, but that seems really in-depth for a site based on almost wholly animals, not on art. (True, animals do usually have art, but experience is the best teacher.) If this was, say, deviantART or something, I could see the point. But since this is SBF, I'd have to say I don't agree with the majority of this Sad My suggestion to you would be: If you want one, make one, and others will follow.
I'm mostly nervous that the contests will be flooded with newbie contests and such. In reality, this is unfair to the experienced art players, as they would most likely eventually have -nothing- to enter, and all of SBF's amazing artists would vanish and most likely leave.
If you want to get good, make pics for your own animals, read tutorials, get references, get critiques. The main thing is really just to never give up and try new methods, something most 'newbie' artists never do, and as such, the effort it takes to make all these might be wasted. I don't think there's really a 'graduation' from inexperienced to experienced; in my mind, it's all the amount of effort you're willing to put forth, and whether or not that's enough for you to get good enough to win contests.
This sounds like a very fancy version of critiques that would take a lot more time and effort on everyone BUT the artist's time. Posting up your art and asking for critiques worked wonders for many people, in both photo manipulations and sketches.
Sorry, but I'd have to say no Sad
It's a thoughtful idea, it really is, but I just don't see the point of paying people who would quite possibly take advantage of it and throw something together or Paint, or just simply trace copyrighted images...
If you don't feel as if you're ready to win contests, don't enter them. Or, better yet, see it as a way to get better and increase your skills, get your name out there. Maybe it's just me, but I'd hate being in a watered down contest and to win against people who are unwilling to try.
This actually kind of reminds me of a much friendlier version of the competitions people specified to let only their animals, or animals crazily close to their animals, enter. If you're good and spent all that time mastering the skill, why should you be prevented from entering all the contests you want?
Although, if people are willing to make these and they won't flood the contest board, go for it, I guess. I mean, I'm new to lineart. I've only won one competition, and it was a tie and we both got half of the prize. I saw this happen on a different site many years ago, as well. Within a month, whether it was a newbie contest or not, newbies were throwing in five-minute pieces against those that had taken people days to complete. The experienced people felt insulted, left, and the site died. I really don't want that to happen to SBF. I'm not saying it WOULD, I just would rather not take that chance...
[/end,rant]

Wow, that was long... And that was kind of double-opinionated, wasn't it? I hate it when that happens xP Sorry.
LouLou07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea and i spend ages drawing images that still don't look that good i don't just quickly make one like Angelicious is suggesting that newbies to art do
Odelette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin899 wrote:
That is a great idea! Next time I hold a contest I consider that!

You make good suggestions..

Thanks! Very Happy
Odelette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelicious wrote:
Hm...
[begin,rant]It's a good idea, and I'm sure it'd be really nice, but that seems really in-depth for a site based on almost wholly animals, not on art. (True, animals do usually have art, but experience is the best teacher.) If this was, say, deviantART or something, I could see the point. But since this is SBF, I'd have to say I don't agree with the majority of this Sad My suggestion to you would be: If you want one, make one, and others will follow.
I'm mostly nervous that the contests will be flooded with newbie contests and such. In reality, this is unfair to the experienced art players, as they would most likely eventually have -nothing- to enter, and all of SBF's amazing artists would vanish and most likely leave.
If you want to get good, make pics for your own animals, read tutorials, get references, get critiques. The main thing is really just to never give up and try new methods, something most 'newbie' artists never do, and as such, the effort it takes to make all these might be wasted. I don't think there's really a 'graduation' from inexperienced to experienced; in my mind, it's all the amount of effort you're willing to put forth, and whether or not that's enough for you to get good enough to win contests.
This sounds like a very fancy version of critiques that would take a lot more time and effort on everyone BUT the artist's time. Posting up your art and asking for critiques worked wonders for many people, in both photo manipulations and sketches.
Sorry, but I'd have to say no Sad
It's a thoughtful idea, it really is, but I just don't see the point of paying people who would quite possibly take advantage of it and throw something together or Paint, or just simply trace copyrighted images...
If you don't feel as if you're ready to win contests, don't enter them. Or, better yet, see it as a way to get better and increase your skills, get your name out there. Maybe it's just me, but I'd hate being in a watered down contest and to win against people who are unwilling to try.
This actually kind of reminds me of a much friendlier version of the competitions people specified to let only their animals, or animals crazily close to their animals, enter. If you're good and spent all that time mastering the skill, why should you be prevented from entering all the contests you want?
Although, if people are willing to make these and they won't flood the contest board, go for it, I guess. I mean, I'm new to lineart. I've only won one competition, and it was a tie and we both got half of the prize. I saw this happen on a different site many years ago, as well. Within a month, whether it was a newbie contest or not, newbies were throwing in five-minute pieces against those that had taken people days to complete. The experienced people felt insulted, left, and the site died. I really don't want that to happen to SBF. I'm not saying it WOULD, I just would rather not take that chance...
[/end,rant]

Wow, that was long... And that was kind of double-opinionated, wasn't it? I hate it when that happens xP Sorry.

I see what your saying. But it does not have to be over the top. I was just wondering if the next time someone holds an art contest they could maybe make it for newbies starting out on art? But I think if a newbie in art, like me, wanted to really finally win in an art contest they wouldnt put together a 5 minute art piece..... right? I didnt really mean the graduation thing it was a joke lol Laughing . You say that umm the more experienced artists will leave I mean vanish but sorry I don't understand how they will? I dont really think that the boards will get flooded with these contests. Because they aren't alot of people starting out on art there wouldn't be many contests. Plus I'm not sure but uh... I don't think many people will hold newbie contests but I may be wrong? If contests are held the more experienced layers in art either who are holding the contest or come about could give some critique and advice. I think it would be much more easier to understand than to go on the internet and try to understand some tutural that an adult wrote... right? Well I think I'll stop here for now Laughing

-Odie
Odelette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Opal wrote:
Yes, that's a very good idea!

Thankies!! Smile
keema

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. I can see both sides of the arguement. If newbie contests get to popular there wont be anything for the advanced artists to enter in. I purposely only enter a couple contests leaving alot for others, and I've only won like two.

But how about this idea for people running the contests. One contest, seperate prizes for beginner artists and advanced artists? Does that make sense?

The only question I really have that I think is kinda important is : Who decides which artist is beginner and which are advanced?
Odelette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keema wrote:
hmmm.. I can see both sides of the arguement. If newbie contests get to popular there wont be anything for the advanced artists to enter in. I purposely only enter a couple contests leaving alot for others, and I've only won like two.

But how about this idea for people running the contests. One contest, seperate prizes for beginner artists and advanced artists? Does that make sense?

The only question I really have that I think is kinda important is : Who decides which artist is beginner and which are advanced?

I dont really think that newbie art contests will get to popular and there will be no more advanced. Because you can always make art contests for the more advanced. However, I do like your idea about the seperate prizes and everything. To decide who is begginner and not you should tell them to make something like anything. After that you can tell if they are beginner or not ( No Offense). Plus you will know by peoples names if they are begginner or not. Like lets say Fire Opal tried to sneak in to it. If you looked around the artist board you would see there drawings and stuff. ( Not trying to use you for anything bad Opal Wink ) I guess thats all I have to say. Wink Very Happy
penguin899

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I think that seperate prizes would be the best thing to do. You both make a good point. Angel, you say that good artist may vanish, but I don't think they would considering, like you said at the beginning of your post, this website is more about animals than art. And, even if there are newbie contest someones still gotta win, so even a newbie contest would have people better than others.

also, there are tutorials that are confusing and by adults, but there are also good tutorials that are easier to understand and by teens. I've heard some people of sbf are thinking about making an art tutorial.
dreams of a champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to hold the contest today. Smile
Odelette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: