Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Please Read if you have a horse>>>>>>>&
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What costs more?
Vet bills
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Farrier bills
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Please Read if you have a horse>>>>>>>& Reply with quote

I have a questions concerning horses.
I'm on the verge of getting my own horse.
My only questions are as follows:
#1- How much does it cost per year to own a horse if you have your own tack(duh,obviously), and you don't plan to compete yet?
As in just you and your horse boarding at a stables, and taking lessons together and going on leisurely rides.
???????????????????
#2- How much free time do you get if you board at a stables.
As in someone else will take care of your horse for you for a day of the week when you have something else to do.
?????????????????
#3- How much do vet bills usually cost for just an exam?
?????????????????
#4-How much does farrier work cost per year on average?
?????????????????
I have some answers on these that are neccessary, but I want to here from you and see what your opinion is since you hopefully own your own horse( I mean if your answering this question... :~)
Thanx so much!
Please message me if you don't understand my questions :~)
Karleigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those questions we cant answer. They are dependant on where you plan to board and who your vet/farrier are.

Personally I pay $450.00 a month for full board, $300 a month for lessons (thats 3 lessons a week). The farrier costs me around $200 every 6 weeks. And the vet is around the same as the farrier but less often.

As I said these are my own expenses each month. If you want a better idea, contact a stable in your area and ask them these questions. They will be able to give you a better idea of the cost. Smile
ambrosia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Australia and I dont board my horse. My farrier charges about $120 per horse every 6 weeks. This does vary though. Vet - I dont just get the vet out for exams. If they are injured then the bill can add up ALOT however they usually only get seen once a year for dental and vacinations. This is about $150 per horse for me. Hope this helps you abit Very Happy
Reicheru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the horse and where one lives.

Some are very easy keepers, making food and care a little more inexpensive than others, while others you have to fight to keep fed and in good health. Just to have the vet come out and say hello costs me $25. Same thing with hoofcare. I know of horses who can go 4-5 months without seeing the farrier and others who make the farrier their best friend and see them every 3 weeks. Same with the vet and their teeth [some get floated every other year and others 3 times a year].

I pay $100 per horse for pasture board and see my horse 5 times a week [even if it's just to pet and say hello]. I recently moved my mare over to the fiance's parents' property so I see more often than my mule, who has yet to be moved and I pay nothing to have her there.

Last edited by Reicheru on Wed May 02, 2007 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karleigh wrote:
Most of those questions we cant answer. They are dependant on where you plan to board and who your vet/farrier are.

Personally I pay $450.00 a month for full board, $300 a month for lessons (thats 3 lessons a week). The farrier costs me around $200 every 6 weeks. And the vet is around the same as the farrier but less often.

As I said these are my own expenses each month. If you want a better idea, contact a stable in your area and ask them these questions. They will be able to give you a better idea of the cost. Smile

Thanx! That makes sense :~) Thanx again for your input Very Happy
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambrosia wrote:
I am in Australia and I dont board my horse. My farrier charges about $120 per horse every 6 weeks. This does vary though. Vet - I dont just get the vet out for exams. If they are injured then the bill can add up ALOT however they usually only get seen once a year for dental and vacinations. This is about $150 per horse for me. Hope this helps you abit Very Happy

Thank you it does. Cool You don't board your horse? I assume you have your own stables or pasture? :~) COOL!
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reicheru wrote:
Depends on the horse and where one lives.

Some are very easy keepers, making food and care a little more expensive than others, while others you have to fight to keep fed and in good health. Just to have the vet come out and say hello costs me $25. Same thing with hoofcare. I know of horses who can go 4-5 months without seeing the farrier and others who make the farrier their best friend and see them every 3 weeks. Same with the vet and their teeth [some get floated every other year and others 3 times a year].

I pay $100 per horse for pasture board and see my horse 5 times a week [even if it's just to pet and say hello]. I recently moved my mare over to the fiance's parents' property so I see more often than my mule, who has yet to be moved and I pay nothing to have her there.

Yea. That's fun. I LOVE just talking to the horses and giving them little treats every so often. But what do you mean when you say floated?I've never heard that trem before. I've heard a lot of terms while learning more and more about horses but floating?
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!I really do appreciate your comments. They are helping me out with what I'm learning about horses right now.
OK. So here is another question-
6 weeks,the horse's shoes wear out in about 6 weeks.
So is that for on average? Or do you guys compete?
?????Thanks everyone :~) Very Happy Tell your mounts that they have great owners who know what their doing for me okay?
LOVING LIFE HOPE LIFE IS GOOD FOR YOU ALL ASWELL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool Cool Smile Smile Smile Laughing Laughing Laughing Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Wink Razz
ambrosia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a property so my horses live with me. It makes it alot easier! Very Happy
FarrmGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Free time at boarding stables: Reply with quote

Hello,
I board too, so some times it is a drag having to wait if riding lessons are going on in the arena or if horses are being free-lunged. I don't nessicarily like this either, but this is why i sometimes like to call my trainer or the barn manager before I visit the stable to ride. I helps to know when you will have the arena to yourself. Other wise, you will almost ALWAYS have free time (because you will have your own horse and won't have to worry about it being ridden by someone else like it's owner, I have experienced this much sadly Sad so we decided to buy me a horse) with your horse because you are the owner and boardedr and can usually do whatever you want. See you later! If you have anymore questions, please PM me, it is WAY more convineient and it saves my eyes some hard reading!!
Thanks for asking,
-FarrmGirl
Karleigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Wishful Thinking~ wrote:

?????

I compete, but that doesnt determine how often Dixies feet get done. She gets done every 6 weeks. All of our horses are on the same schedule whether they are 3yrs or 30 yrs. Hoped it helped. Smile
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karleigh wrote:
~Wishful Thinking~ wrote:

?????

I compete, but that doesnt determine how often Dixies feet get done. She gets done every 6 weeks. All of our horses are on the same schedule whether they are 3yrs or 30 yrs. Hoped it helped. Smile
oh! yea i get it. k. Dixie? I LOVE THAT NAME!!!!!!!!!!!
What breed is Dixie?
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1- How much does it cost per year to own a horse if you have your own tack(duh,obviously), and you don't plan to compete yet?
As in just you and your horse boarding at a stables, and taking lessons together and going on leisurely rides.
Board for me costs $250 per month. Board payments are NOT standardized in all areas. In some places, the cheapest board you can find is upwards of $400 a month.

#2- How much free time do you get if you board at a stables.
As in someone else will take care of your horse for you for a day of the week when you have something else to do.
Again this differs by stable. My $250 per month covers hay, grain, watering, and stall cleaning. I pay extra to have my trainer turn my horse out for me if I'm going to be gone. I usually do my stall myself when I'm there. Most places won't do things like groom/exercise for you; that's your responsibility.

#3- How much do vet bills usually cost for just an exam?
I pay about $25 every few months for worming. Shots and specialized visits cost more. If something goes wrong (ie colic) you're looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills.

#4-How much does farrier work cost per year on average?
Horses need their hooves trimmed every 4-6 weeks, regardless of activity level. For me, each farrier visit for trimming and reseting shoes is $80. If the shoes get worn down and my horse needs a completely new set, it's around $120.
Karleigh

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kholran always has the best advice. Smile

The farrier just came to do my horse today, 4 shoes with stud holes cost me $159. Which is one of the best prices I've ever had. But horse stuff around here is crazy expensive.

Dixie is a Thoroughbred.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea she seems nice too.
HI KHOLRAN!
Dixie! A Thoroughbred. I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coolness beyond belief!
I love thoroughbreds! I like minis too, and american warmbloods :~)
Dutch Warmbloods are AWESOME mounts too :!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: