Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

How many times have you fallen off horseriding?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many falls?
None! I don't ride!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I ride but... i stay glued to the saddle so NEVER!
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
once or twice
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
3-5 times
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
6-8 times
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
9-12 times
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
13-20 times
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
21-25
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
26-30
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
over 30 woohoo go me i am the official falling off queen/king/Princess of SBF!
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

animal_mad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: How many times have you fallen off horseriding? Reply with quote

Mine is defintiely in the over 30 range!
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden quit a bit(not a ton but around 50-100 hours) And have never fallen off, I've ridden bareback, and have cantered and galloped in the saddle. I can't figure out why I haven't fallen off yet, but I'm sure my luck will change. If we move I'd get to be trained by a barrel racer who's won like 8 saddles(plus lods of other things).
Vitani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rode in my teens ( Lord I miss it ) My seat was pretty good, not much made me move, let alone fall off...

But when I first started riding, at 8 or 9...My nickname was butter-butt Embarassed My balance was shocking and even a too-fast trot had me sliding all over the place...usually landing with a plop. Only ever had one "bad" fall, which happened when I was 11...And I fell once when I was 13 lol, but after that, nothing Smile But mostly, starting out...I would slither sideways then...plop >.< Making a little dust cloud or bottom-shaped squish print in the grass Embarassed

Even when you get glue-seat...you never fully live down a nickname like butter-butt *hides under a rock*
Bezzella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the over thirty too!! Hahaha... 6 years of riding little spazzes. And yet I have never broken a bone in my body! *eats irony of that*
Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fallen off 8 times in my year-and-a-half of riding.

When I got on Nikki for the first time, he pulled me over his head 3 times (I had horrendous balance then). During that same lesson I also lost my balance cantering (That's how bad my equitation was) and hit the dirt. I was proud of myself though, because I wasn't afraid to get back in that saddle.

Then Nikki sailed over the arena fence and ran away with me, I fell off and got the wind knocked out of me, and I couldn't inhale, I could only exhale and groan.

Then I got way too ahead of myself jumping a 2' 6" vertical and tipped off of Nikki (again).

Then, Nikki ran away with me for some unknown reason and I fell and cracked my helmet (thank goodness it wasn't my head). We went to the saddlery right after to buy me another helmet.

After 3 weeks of no riding, guess what happened the first day back in the saddle. I fell off of Hannah! She just started galloping for some reason. I fell in the mud and ended up looking like an oreo cookie.

After my fall off of Hannah you wouldn't believe how bad my riding was. I was sitting forward the whole time, holding onto the pommel, things that I'd never done since my frist few lessons. My riding did go back to normal after a few lessons, however.

Last edited by Luckeh_Is_Random on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wickedrodent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive fallen off once.. and it was really bad.. bad enough that I wasnt able to get back on the horse after, and I have been terrified of riding faster than a walk ever since.. I really want to get over it.. but its insanly hard..
Lucky_Duck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only fallen off once, although I have been close to falling off quite a number of times. I guess I can proudly say that too. Anywho, I was riding a horse that I had ridden only once before. Needless to say, I wasn't so thrilled to be riding that day because it was hot, humid, and I was rather thirsty. Where I ride, it is know to have uneven ground here and there and already, about 3 or 4 people had fallen off and gotten hurt in some way, shape, or form. My instructor had told me to trot with my horse and had been for a couple of minutes, but I had a really strange feeling...one of those gut feelings, ya know? Anyways, as we were cutting across the ring and going up the side, the feeling got stronger and before I knew it, I was being thrown to the ground. The horse I had been riding had tripped and fallen down on its knees, head between his legs, and his hind legs went up. I was throw from my saddle and fortunately, went over and beyond his neck. If I wasn't thrown so hard, I might have fallen on his neck and he might have been hurt. Whether it would have been serious, I really don't know - But it could have ended up in a not so fabulous way. Or I could have gotten hurt more then I did…who knows. Back to the story...I screamed, realizing what was happening, and went to catch myself with my hands, all my weight being thrusted forward to the ground. My elbows then gave in because it was too much from the force and my head crashed into the ground, along with my right shoulder. Thank goodness I was wearing my helmet and so that saved me from a concussion...or anything worse. I couldn't breath properly for a good 10-15 seconds, and I was in a state of shock, going threw what happened in my head. My face was scratched up and it killed, along with my shoulder. It hurt so stinkin bad, I did was girls do best...cry. My instructor told me what ever I did, not to move. He looked he over, asking if I could move arms, legs, etc. and I could. I just really, REALLY hurt! The side of my face began to swell and it was bruised black, blue and purple (interesting image too! lol). I was slowly walked out of the ring and had ice packs all over my face and head until my mom got there and took me to the hospital – E.R. actually. After about 6 or 7 seven hours, 10 billion x-rays, and cat scans, I was told I was fine and, miraculously, I hadn’t broken or seriously injured a thing! Shocked lol My little boy was fine, he got right back up and came over to see my sitting on the ground Smile I went and saw him the next day and he was perky as ever. The only thing that I'm not so fond of is that my shoulder still hurts from time to time if I stress it too much with weight or something. And right now...it hurts! Too much heavy work to do....oh well

Whoa...that was really long and descriptive! lol

Last edited by Lucky_Duck on Tue May 01, 2007 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One and a half. Both times were bareback, and both involved a spooked, bolting Arabian who doesn't need Show Sheen to be shiny and silky. You do the math lol Those are the only two times in nearly 15 years of riding, though, so I think that's a pretty good record.
Karleigh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im my 5 years of riding I have fallen off somewhere around 20 times. I dont really keep count so it could be more or less. I havent fallen of once in the past year.

Except for a handful of falls, most of mine were from stupid things. Like riding backwards, jumping while doubling, etc. All the "fun" things. lol.
Vitani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I feel so much better about being butter-butt when I first started out, knowing I'm not alone Laughing

My only 'real' fall busted me up a bit, but thats to be expected with horses....Any sport really. Nothings 100% safe lol...

I'm still glad all my early falls were plops onto the ground, never creating even a bruise, thankfully.....Smile

Lmao Lucks....What an unlucky lesson >.<
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my state if your on a horse facilty and its posted you can't sue the facilty if you get hurt. (well you can always sue but you wouldn't win...unless it was cleary someones fualt like say they didn't tighten the girth or something)
Karleigh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my barn we run summer camps for kids between ages 6 and 18. They are required to sign tons of waivers so that if something happens we cant be sued.

Last summer we had a family sign their daughter up for our camp. She had been riding for a few days (it was a week long camp), she was being led around the ring and the pony spooked.

She hit the ground and immediately started crying, she was holding her shoulder. We thought she dislocated her shoulder or something so we call her parents and called the ambulance.

She was taken to the hospital, and later we find out she needs surgery for her shoulder! We were paniced because we have never had a pony camper hurt themselves that bad before.

A few days later my coach (also is the barn owner) gets a phone call from the girls parents lawyer. They are sueing my coach and making her pay for the surgery. My coach is also a law student so right away she hired a lawyer to help her.

They found out that the girl had a pre-existing shoulder problem that needed surgery but the parents coulndt afford it. They didnt tell us she had a shoulder problem. So when she fell off, they thought they would sue my coach so they could afford the surgery. The parents didnt win the case. My coach did. I just couldnt belive some one would stoop to that level. They put their child through all that pain, and they gave themselves a bad reputaion. The horse community here is very close knit so everyone knew about it. I was just in shock. And still am.

Sorry about that long, long ramble. lol. When Legendary mentiod sueing only if it was some ones fault, that kind of set me off. lol. Very Happy
ambrosia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been riding for 12 years now and i cant remember how many times i have fallen off. But you learn from them and it can make you a better rider. I havent fallen off in a long time (like 2 yrs or something) and touch wood i wont. But hey, you get hurt, you get over it and you get back on, its all in the love of horseriding. Very Happy
Lucky_Duck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitani wrote:
Lmao Lucks....What an unlucky lesson >.<

Yeah, no kiddin. lol I'm glad I just didn't break my clavicle or something

Last edited by Lucky_Duck on Tue May 01, 2007 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luckeh_Is_Random

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I came close to falling off my Appendix Quarter Horse, Bill. He started out fine and was being a really good boy for me.

But when I tried to circle him a few times he pulled me around and kept me from circling him, no matter how hard I smacked him on the rump with a crop or how much I spurred him.

I was trying to get him to circle at a walk. He was doing great at a walk. Then I picked up a trot, spurred him with my outside leg, gave him a tap on the rump, but he pulled me to the outer part of the ring and "spooked" at a ground pole. He sidestepped and I lost my stirrups, then he started cantering and bucking. I'm glad I didn't hit the dirt that time.

Right after that my instructor got onto Bill and tried to see if something was wrong with him. Nothing. He did it perfectly for her. Then when I got back on, he acted up again, so we just cooled.

Bill's a brat Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: