Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Cruel Or Cool? Four Legged Chicken
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cruel Or Cool
Cruel
69%
 69%  [ 16 ]
Cool
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Devil_Duckie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Cruel Or Cool? Four Legged Chicken Reply with quote

Amazing but also wrong. what is your opinon?
bumblebee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that poor chick! bless
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto!
Looking_Beautiful

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG wut the heck happened to the poor thing????? that is so cruel! Shocked
Karleigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking_Beautiful wrote:
OMG wut the heck happened to the poor thing????? that is so cruel! Shocked

It is probably a birth defect. I dont think anyone did anything to it. If it is happy and healthy and growing normally it is fine. If this had happened in the wild it probably would not have survived long enough to learn to walk. But it looks fine to me, Devil do you know what the owners did with it?
Devil_Duckie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well on the site it said that it was killed because it had to bottoms and he could do his business properly.
Karleigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awe to bad. I would have kept the chicken, and found some way to make it healthy.
Leopardstorm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the site for this? and how is this cruel??? Confused

Cruel-deliberately and remorselessly causing pain or anguish
bringing about pain and distress
Tabbeh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dhushara.com/book/genes/glows.jpg

I voted cruel( even though it wasn't done on purpose)...and I think most expierements on animals are cruel...but there are some exceptions. I think. Has anyone heard of the "jellyfish mice"? Mice that glow green--they implanted jellyfish genes into thier genetic code Shocked . Is that cruel or not? Let's see...

1. Is the creature sentient/can it feel pain? Is it caused pain?

It has been scientifically proven that both chickens and mice can feel pain and other emotions such as fear & love. However, jellyfish genes are implanted in the mice from the beginning of thier life--before they are born. Before they have nerve cells or feelings. Even if they did then, it would not cause them pain. (this has been done many times and once they implanted tumors into the mice...but most times it was just the jellyfish gene)

2. Will it make the creature an outcast among its kind?

If you saw a green glowing person, you'd be pretty freaked out Very Happy . But this expeirement has been done on many mice, so they've got plenty of...company.

3. What benefits will it have?

Well, humans don't really need jellyfish genes. But it could help with future genetic breakthroughs--i.e. preventing certain diseases. Also, this expierement highlights the white blood cells of the mice, which somehow provides scientists w/ info on how to better preform certain types of surgery. So yes, it has at least one medical benefit for humankind.

Of course...it might be acceptable to break these rules sometimes...like to cure AIDS...but it would also depend on what species the expierement was being done on. A bumblebee or bear? I'd like to see some other opinions on this.
bumblebee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i dont think its right to interfere with nature. BUT in extreme cases i guess its sort of acceptable.
Looking_Beautiful

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad well I'm sry I sounded so negative I mean maybe it wasn't done on purpose and it ws just a birth effect but still it's really sad and cruel in a way....???? Confused

and YES I do know the deffinition of cruel...... Wink
Karleigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for genetic enhancement... did you know that they have implanted the spiders silk gene into goats? The silk protien is in the goats milk. It does not cause the goat pain. But it has uses for humans. Spider silk is incredibly strong. They use the silk in the medical industry as stitches.

I think making the mice glow green is a little pointless but learning how to place a gene from one animal into anothers body could be useful.

Look at the lizards that can grow their limbs and tails back. What if we could isolate that gene and place it in amputees? That way they could regrow their limb.

I dont think we would have to worry about them adding a "glow green" gene in us. It wouldnt have any use to us. I think the scientist are just using the "glow" gene as an example that would make a bigger impact on our minds. If they say the mice can glow green because of what they did and then you see the mice glow green, it forces you to belive what the scientist are doing is true.Because everyone knows that mice dont glow geen. The spider silk one is the same thing but you can really "see" it.
frostys queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green glow in the mice is for research for cancer and I think is probably better in my eyes than the stem cell research that they are doing with other things.
As for the chicken with extra apenages. Lately I've seen the sheep with 2 faces and there was a pig with 2 faces. The cat with one eye...he was so pittiful it made me and Peter both cry and we're in our 40's. That was so sad.
My grandmother raised ducks and geese when I was a child and occasionaly due to genetic defect and double yolked eggs there were a few here and there that were born with an extra leg or head. They normally didn't live very long and it's only a genetic defect. It is sad but it's basically the same type of defect that causes the defect in people like siamese twins etc. The same for the sheep and calves that have been born recently with 2 heads or extra legs.
Cecelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That glowing mice thing is really freaking me out! Why would anybody try to mix two species! Mad That's just not right!
frostys queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green glow in the mice is for research for cancer and I think is probably better in my eyes than the stem cell research that they are doing with other things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: