Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Getting A Horse! Please Read>>>>>>>>
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are American Warmbloods intellegent?
Yes, I KNOW they are I have one.
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No, I don't like them.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Getting A Horse! Please Read>>>>>>>> Reply with quote

So, I've been promised my own horse very soon (a real one).
But does anyone know what breeds are most popular etc...?
For barrel racing, pleasure, and possibly some English events?
I'm thinking American Warmbloods. Anyone have any advice what so ever?
Please and thank you!
Mystie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Quarter Horses are very popular for barrel racing. In England, almost everybody either has a cob or a thoroughbred. lol big difference but their just so popular.
Vitani

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your getting your own horse ( yay for you! Very Happy ) think about what you want to do, then think about the breeds best suited to those activities, then think about which breed is currently popular...

Then throw it all out the window. I've known a barrel racing Draft cross, a QH dressage champion and a SJ pony champion....Excellence is not restricted to breed. Granted, some breeds ARE more suited to certain activities but in the end...Go with what suits you. A horse of undetermined origin can be just as perfect as one from champion lines. Try to base your criteria on things like temperment first, conformation, height, colour...things like that. While the 15.2 hh striking bay Arabian with a fizzy temperment and elegant looks may take your breath away...You might find its the 16hh plain grey, bombproof ladies hack that is better suited to you...

Just some thoughts Smile
Sly Fox2448

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if I was getting a horse, I'de get the fastest breed. But I'm not, you are Laughing So for barrel racing... I'de probably think about a quarter horse or a thoroughbred.

Hope that helps! Smile
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good all-around horse that does both western and english events *well* is VERY hard to find. Warmbloods usually do best in jumping and dressage competitions...I've never seen one do well in western. I'd look into a Quarter Horse, Paint, or Appendix Quarter Horse if you want something that you can do both things with, although in terms of competing, it would probably only excel in one area. I agree with what Vitani said too; you don't need a pure-bred horse to ride. A grade horse will do just as well, as long as it's suited to what you want to do with it.
Barbwire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kholran"] I'd look into a Quarter Horse, Paint, or Appendix Quarter Horse if you want something that you can do both things with, although in terms of competing, it would probably only excel in one area. [quote]

Disagree with that. I have known and had them that excell in everything from jumping to barrels to even yes SADDLESEAT!! They make great all around horses.

Pic a horse best suited to your expericence level. I don't worry about breeds. I have had purbreds and i've had crossbreeds. They are all worth it. A lot of times you can get a crossbred cheaper. I just purchased a quarter horse x ? horse. he is awsome. I can do all kinds of stuff with him. Finding a horse you mesh well with is the most important thing of all.

Last edited by Barbwire on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bezzella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really just look around in any breed. Look at Russian Roulet (sp) that 14.2 hand arabian can jump 5 feet! Look for a horse of any breed. No breed has every horse the same Wink
Æ Red Sunset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im huge on when buying a horse forget about breed and colour unless your a breeder or professional breeder. My adivice would depend on you riding ability. and look around first.
Mystie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this your first horse? How long have you been riding? Are you going to show?

Consider those. If you haven't been riding long, go bombproof

If it's your first horse, don't get a crazy one

If your not going to show, don't worry about a registered pure bred

I'd just consider if this horse listens, friendly, good jumper, not slow, not extremely unpredictible. Yeah Smile
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbwire wrote:
Kholran wrote:
I'd look into a Quarter Horse, Paint, or Appendix Quarter Horse if you want something that you can do both things with, although in terms of competing, it would probably only excel in one area.

Disagree with that. I have known and had them that excell in everything from jumping to barrels to even yes SADDLESEAT!! They make great all around horses.

Pic a horse best suited to your expericence level. I don't worry about breeds. I have had purbreds and i've had crossbreeds. They are all worth it. A lot of times you can get a crossbred cheaper. I just purchased a quarter horse x ? horse. he is awsome. I can do all kinds of stuff with him. Finding a horse you mesh well with is the most important thing of all.

It's RARE. That's what I was saying. Note that word probably There may well be a QH or Paint that can do english as well as western. Never in my 14 years of riding saddleseat have I ever seen a QH or Paint excel. They don't have the head carriage or leg action. They aren't bred for it. You can ride them in a cutback saddle, and maybe put them in leadline/open classes or whatever, but in terms of three- and five-gaited classes, you'll NEVER see a western-bred horse win. And finding a horse that will consistently win in Jumping, Dressage, Reining, Barrels, and Western Pleasure all at one time is probably impossible. If there is one, you're going to pay a fortune for it.
Mystie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really desperate to get an English Warmblood?

Aww, there is a new pony at my stables called honey - a fjord! She actually can't jump but she's just so sweet! Smile
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx everyone!
Bessie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for my money and all of my years of experience....I prefer the Quarter Horse crossed with a good Appaloosa line. Reasons: Less break down and really good speed. Surefootedness of the App crossed with the gentleness of the Quarter Horse. I also prefer a bit smaller horse for barrels...they tend to do the turns far better...and when speed and every second counts it truly does make a difference.
~Wishful Thinking~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx again everyone. I really appreciate it! How about paints?
Splash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paints are colors. they come in a lot of different breeds. but for barrel racing smaller horses, do a little better than large ones. for showing id say, well i dont know ive never showed a horse. but good luck and congrats! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: