Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

So . . . Many . . . Puppies!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaylaBlue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could go on for days about this. BUT. I am only popping in while finishing up some homework.

My mom was the director of shelter awhile ago. Around the same time, we chose to breed our full breed black Labrador,Tessa. Pre-breeding, we had her hips, shoulders and eyes checked, and check-ups with the vet to ensure that she would be completely fine during the whole process. This, plus the stud fee, cost approximately $9,000. We did things the right way. Her babies were all completely healthy, happy babies born of a world class father and a gentle, local event winner for a mother. I disagree with anyone that says that all dog breeding is wrong, and will strongly defend my position. All of the pups went onto exceptional homes. Each new owner had a background check run on them, and had to have at least two references, home visit, plus the normal application.

In addition to the one puppy that we kept those many years ago, we had all of the dogs that my mom brought home from the shelter, and Tessa. We live on several acres of rolling hills and forest, and our dogs are all happy, healthy and loved. It isn't fair to make a general assumption that every dog that is bred is a mis-breed.

Kayla
Kdj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppies Confused .......on the side of a road Sad .......dead Crying or Very sad
SOOOOOOOOO SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???????? That happened with my cat, we couldnt get her fixed until like a year and 1/2. She got her 'mothly friend' and we were like O.O what do we do! We see stray kitten all the time over here.
Kdj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys ever heard this really inapropriate joke about dog breeding? Confused

I know...its random!
Sadie,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as a dog trainer at the shelter here and most of the puppies that come are backyard breeders. Many of the dogs are either pitbulls or mutts from puppy mills. Out of 50 dogs we get in every 2 weeks, 20 maybe 30 will actually make it out. Its very sad, and its because of backyard breeding, puppy mills, and "accidents". A 18 year old girl came in last year with a german shepherd female and 12 puppies a week old. She was moving away, had not sold any puppies from the litter, and needed them out right away. She said she got the mother from her ex and didnt know she was pregnant.
It may not have been her fault the dog had puppies, but how can you have a german shepherd female, not fixed, and not know its pregnant??
Not 1 puppy had a home ready when it was time to wean. I couldnt beleive it. I ended up fostering her and finding the puppies homes myself. My mother absolutely refused to sell 1 male, but I had approved homes for 8 by the time they were ready to go. They all sold, and to good people, but I do not understand -to this day- the lady that brought them in.

I have a rottweiler that I got from work 4 years ago that was 6 months old, badly abused.. Her father was a "bait dog" and her mother was a broodmare basically. The owner had many fighting dogs taken away from him.. they had over 20 champion pit bulls, and used the rottweilers as practice. Anyway I kept the puppy, named her Tera and she turned out to be the smartest dog here. When I first got her, I kept her in a kennel outside by herself while I was at school, and the first day when I got home she was out of the cage with the unneutered boys... She didnt have puppies from it though.. Razz From then on I think that it is possible to have accidents. She can get out of anything, she has been helping me train dogs since I got her, she can learn any trick in a matter of an hour or less, she is the most trusted dog I have ever had. I can put her with toddlers, kids, other dogs, cats, horses, whatever.
I decided when she was 3 years old to breed her. I got her bred to a friends purebred rottie and her first litter she had 5 beautiful puppies, 1 was stillborn. I had homes for 3 pups -Before- they were even born, so that I didnt get stuck with no homes for them, also she was never bred before, so I didnt know how many she'd have. I had homes for 3, and my sister couldn't resist keeping the runt. He was her first dog, hes a year and a half, fixed, and quite smart.. His name is Kody.

Anyway lol I dont think breeding is bad. If you have homes for the puppies and you know they wont end up in a place like Tera was, then it's good. Not everyone will accept a dog from the shelter. Some think that those dogs are ruined and can't be trained, so they go to breeders.
The point of bringing up Tera's story, is that I guess sometimes, I repeat -Sometimes- backyard breeding isnt so bad. I just think people should be a little more careful if they dont plan on doing the homework when they're born.

I'm sorry Tera's story was so long but I love sharing it. She has really proved everyone wrong.. Very Happy My dad said eventually, her father's bad behaviour is going to kick in and shes going to cause fights. I argued and argued, but now I think I rest my case since shes 4 and a half.

She's due for her 4th litter in about 3 weeks... I'm very excited, because my cousin who lives in California is taking 6 pups out their to be showdogs.. I am more excited about that than my mare's pregnancy.. :S Kinda funny...
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in responsible breeding, i mean, like if you KNOW for sure, that the puppies you breed are going to go to good homes and get spayed/neutured, go ahead and breed. But also think about how many shelter dogs are out there, and cats too! All of which were bred, accidentily made or porpusely, and are now sitting homeless in some cage, wanting to know what love is again.
Sadie,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the sad part is many wont ever know what love is. I really wish I could rescue them all.
I don't get along with my aunt very well and the main reason is because every time she visits (about 2 times a year) she has new animals that she "saved" and is rehoming, but they are never fixed and many dogs have like 3-4 litters before she'll actually spay them. Same for cats. It makes a big difference in the world when you have like 5 females dropping 3 litters a year anywhere from 2-12 pups that will live 10-18 years. She also doesnt pay much attention to the people that buy them. It bothers me big time. Here I am at work, seeing 10 or so dogs getting put down every week because they've been here so long, and shes breeding nonestop. That kind of backyard junk, I absolutly despise.
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's horrible Sadie, and the way i think of dogs who get put down in sehlters, if they are in your kennels. Then you know that dog or cat had the best few days of it's life and got to know that it was loved even for a little whlie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: