Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

My dogs paw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: My dogs paw Reply with quote

Last night, when I went to bed, my dog was fine. This morning i woke up and called her to go out and she was limping very badly. It took me a long time before she would even let me look at her paw, and her right paw is very swollen. We're gonna take her to the vet within the next few days. But, I was wondering if theres anything i can do for her until we get her to the vet to dull the pain.
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she might have sprained it, i find that baby asprin works on my dog, she has arthites in her back and has hurt her shoulder, chasing the cat >.< it helps ease the pain, just hide it in a peice of cheese Smile but just one, Smile
ChocolateGal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie may be right, but there is one other thing it might be.

My cat, a couple of years ago, was bitten on the paw by another feral cat. Because of the uncleanliness in it's mouth, it cause an infection in my little one's foot. However, after a few weeks, and some medication, he was fine.

Plenty of rest for your dog, I say, until he goes to the vet.

Hope this helps!
Choco
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Ferox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT give your dog an aspirin if you're going to the vet.

If you do, the vet can't give your dog any other, SAFER main medication to go home on without letting the aspirin clear out of your dog's system for at least 24 hours.

Human pain meds are not designed for animals and I cringe everytime someone brings in an animal that they gave aspirin (or god forbid, paracetamol) to, because I can't give them the safer pain killers. This is especially true for small dogs.

It sounds like an abscess (grass seeds are very common in dog feet, but it could be a bite), and dogs will limp badly if they've broken a toe. These are all fixable.

Get to the vet as soon as possible and use warm compresses in the mean time. If you insist on giving your dog aspirin, it had better be at least 20kg and you should RING your vet first to let them know you're going to do it.
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh ya me no know that Embarassed so basically ignore that, Smile
Vitani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at all possible (although if its really hurting her she wont be super active anyway) try to confine her to a single room, or just indoors if she lives outside...Something like a broken bone etc can be made worse with her walking on it.....A seed, thorn, or any other foreign body that may be in the paw pad will travel deeper and be harder to move, etc etc etc...

Pretty much until you can get to the vet...Try to keep her as calm and comfy as possible. Poor thing Sad Keep us updated...Fingers crossed for a simple fix-up job Smile
SomebodyDude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess you could always try ebson salts [I hope that is how you spell it >.<], they can sometimes help infections and pain and you can buy a bag at yor local walmart Wink . You put a certain amount [says on bag, i belive] in a certain amount of water and then soak whatever is the problem in it...
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomebodyDude wrote:
Well I guess you could always try ebson salts [I hope that is how you spell it >.<], they can sometimes help infections and pain and you can buy a bag at yor local walmart Wink . You put a certain amount [says on bag, i belive] in a certain amount of water and then soak whatever is the problem in it...

Yes, when my dog was attacked by coyotes the vet instructed us to use epsom salts on her flesh wounds. It might be worth a try; just take a soaked cloth and drape it over the paw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: