Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Fundraising ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Fundraising ideas? Reply with quote

I'm with a club in real life that needs to do some fund-raising and although we've discussed it and come up with a few ideas there wasn't anything particularly fantastic or practical, so I was wondering if anyone on here could provide some suggestions. We could probably come up with 5-10 volunteers for whatever we ended up doing, and we have a reasonable amount of money that can be used to purchase any materials that might be required for a fund-raising effort. Based on that, what do you think we could try?
Alabama
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of club is it? Is there a "theme" for the club? Like dealing with animals, school pep squad, citizenship, etc.
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a caving club. The theme could also be expanded out to loosely include rock climbing, archaeology, palaeontology, geology and bats, if that helps. (Bats are awesome! *cough* moving on...)

Club equipment may be available for use as part of the fund-raising, if necessary. This can include anything from helmets and torches to ropes and ladders.
Vitani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, theres the classic bake sale...( bat shaped cookies, anyone? Very Happy )

And the ever popular car-wash....

But since its for caving.....

Maybe some things associated with being in the dark? Like a nocturnal nature walk....Or a 'shut-in' where the only form of lighting is helmet mounted and hand held torches....

Indoor rock climbing...

An 'experiance' day...Everything from climbing ladders, finding and identifying rocks, how to set up a safety harness.....Info on cave animals etc...

Depending on how many people you can get to help, of course....

Our local scout troop did an experiance day ( I was a volunteer, lol >.< ) and charged a general admission of $5 for the entire day and all activities, the parents made and sold refreshments at varying prices, a few local places donated things for raffles at $2 a ticket...

After a 2 day ( overnight was an extra cost ) fundraiser....They ended up with almost $2000.
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitani wrote:
Well, theres the classic bake sale...( bat shaped cookies, anyone? Very Happy )

I think people were discussing doing a sausage sizzle. We could combine the two without too much trouble. Should increase profits, but there's a limit to how much time people can put in so extensive cooking isn't an option. Know any short cuts? Pre-made cookie dough, for example?

Selling fund-raiser chocolate was another option considered.

Quote:
And the ever popular car-wash....

Not sure that's something people would want to do. Razz

Quote:
Maybe some things associated with being in the dark? Like a nocturnal nature walk....Or a 'shut-in' where the only form of lighting is helmet mounted and hand held torches....

I like these ideas. The nature walk would be simple enough to do in this area, but I'm not sure it would attract a great deal of people, and hence it wouldn't really be worth it.
The 'shut-in' would have been very popular if we could have managed to coincide it with Earth Hour. Perhaps for next year. Not sure exactly how we could make it interesting though. Thoughts?

Quote:
Indoor rock climbing...
An 'experiance' day...Everything from climbing ladders, finding and identifying rocks, how to set up a safety harness.....Info on cave animals etc...

Someone suggested a zip line (like a flying fox, but with a safety harness), which could also be combined with these suggestions. We might be able to set something up on uni grounds on a weekday, which will be very popular if we time it right, but insurance for it will be expensive, and may cancel out our profits if it isn't quite popular enough.

Alternatively we could have climbing demonstrations with ropes connected up between the uni buildings, then pass a hat around afterwards.

This is definitely food for thought. Thanks very much.

Anyone have any other ideas though? The more the better.
Alabama
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking inspiration from Vitani..

What about a dark treasure hunt? A few darkened rooms with things hidden around in them like caving tools, toy animals found in caves (bats, bugs, etc). Perhaps a couple children's swimming pools filled with dirt/sand/water with things to be hidden in them. Boomboxes with unexpected cave sounds, like bats flying or bat sonar, water trickling, etc. Items found can be turned in in exchange for donated items and then rehidden. Might ask local stores if they would be willing to donate gift certificates.
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dark treasure hunt sounds fun, but impractical. What more, caving tools are typically expensive (hence the fund-raiser) and it's imperative that they are not just undamaged, but that their history of use is known so that we're aware how long they can last. Believe it or not, caving is classified as an 'extreme sport'. Using dodgy equipment will result in death, so it's probably unwise to risk them being compromised in this manner.

I should clarify that this is not a kids club. None of the regular members are under 18, and the average age of members is at least a decade above that. Also, any fund-raising activity will likely be in a public place, possibly at uni, so the target age group is adults. Also, we don't have anything in the way of allocated space, club hall, etc, so some things may not be possible based on that. At best we might be able to use an area in the uni gym.
Alabama
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I was thinking high school/college age and the tools weren't the expensive things that might "disappear" More like pitons, hand shovels, etc.. But yes, I guess if your group is older even that that, I think your sausage sizzle idea might be the best, but I have to throw in the southern favorite, smoked Boston Butt Razz If you do the smoked beef, it's something one or two people can do overnight, if anyone knows how. You'll want to check your local health regulations though.

What about an ice cream social? No cooking involved and if you can get enough cans and such, might not even need to buy ice cream, just the stuff for it.
Vitani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh yeah, sausage sizzles are a really big thing here...Why didn't I think of that? >.<

Raffles are really good too, especially if you can get the prizes donated....Its pretty much all profit that way.

'Bama's idea and mine could be combined......Something like an elephant chain where you must either hold onto, or be roped to the person in front....Feeling your way through darkened rooms with certain obstacles...Like a simulated narrow passage requiring you to crawl, etc etc...Easily done with something like a pile of beanbags...

Lol, you'd be surprised how much fun adults can have in the dark once they get into the swing of things.

Could hold a pub quiz night ( sans the alcohol ) and entry is a gold coin donation...Well...Actually you don't use coins, do you? I forget Embarassed Anyway...Y'know what I mean lol Smile Prizes could again be donated, or simply award bragging rights to the winners. Questions could be caving themed, possibly...

Speed dating?

Date auction?

Family friendly stuff is good...Cause the kids that get interested may well be future cavers... Very Happy

Hmmm...Soon as I stop thinking about it, I'll have more ideas.

Carboot sale?

'Bob-a-job'...Odd jobs done for donations....

Dog walking, grooming etc...
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitani wrote:
Could hold a pub quiz night ( sans the alcohol ) and entry is a gold coin donation...Well...Actually you don't use coins, do you? I forget Embarassed Anyway...Y'know what I mean lol Smile Prizes could again be donated, or simply award bragging rights to the winners. Questions could be caving themed, possibly...

I love the quiz night idea. It would take some organising but I think it's doable. No need for it to be at the pub either. Just rent out a hall for the evening. Do it on uni grounds and it's probably free. Combine it with a raffle and cookie, etc, stall, and it could be quite a profitable evening. We could have several rounds with various different themes, but all essentially general knowledge, then have one round which is caving, etc, themed.

By the way, what did you mean by the "don't use coins" comment? It just confused me, is all.
Vitani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't remember if you were Australian or American....

Americans can't say "gold coin donation" lol....But Aussies can.
Misty Glen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it was something like that. Smile
LizM25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 25 and the dark treasure hunt sounds like fun to me...
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe this sounds like fun noew i wanna go lol but what about like the quiz thingee+bake sale+say a few non-alcohal and alcohal drinks+some fun in teh dark like the treasure hunt thing adn maybe even my own idea possibly finding soem of the bugs and rocks adn maybe bat PICTURES.(i caps pictures because i was talking to my friend about bugs adn i said why dont you get soem bug pictures adn she went out and found the real life thing and i am deathly terrified of bugs lol XD)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: