Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Service dog Story Contest - WINNER UP - sorry for the delay
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cocodri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Service dog Story Contest - WINNER UP - sorry for the delay Reply with quote

The Contest:

Write me a thrilling, exciting tale of adventure in 1000 words or less featuring a brave search and rescue dog (and handler of course).

Deadline:

Midnight MST Sunday, Feb. 21st

Judging
Sometime Monday, Feb. 22nd

Prizes
What else? A new Search and Rescue puppy from the first foundation pair to the winner. Now I know how good you guys are so I'll be thinking about what I'll give to the Honorable Mentions I won't be able to resist rewarding.

Please keep in mind that I am a professional, published writer. Spell check and grammar check your entries before posting (just put them in this thread please). Polish them up all pretty. Make me proud Very Happy

I'm wiggling in my chair I'm so excited to see what you come up with!

EDIT: I hadn't thought about that - moved the deadline to Sunday midnight so you have all weekend to work on it

Last edited by Cocodri on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be entering what kind of Service Dogs are tehy suppost to be?
Chloe Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post!
SomebodyDude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll figure out somethin! But could you make the deadline saterday night? I have school and all and I will need more time because of homework and stuff....yuk!
wolfgirl159357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Somebody
Chloe Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, me to. I have two big projects due in Spanish class and ALOT of redo work.... >P
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, I am so all over this contest. Watch out y'all! Lol, jking.

Bratterratt Very Happy
Cocodri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Duh Me Reply with quote

Sometimes I just don't think - of course - school. Duh. Me. Moved the deadline to Sunday midnight to give you all weekend (well and sometimes I am busy all day Sunday and couldn't be here to judge)

The story is to be about a Search and Rescue dog. To quote from a info sheet, these dogs search for and rescue:

Children lost in the wilderness, parks or hidden in shrubbery around houses Old people who have wandered away from homes and hospitals Hikers and hunters lost in the woods Victims of drowning accidents Victims of avalanche, earthquake, flood, explosion, fire, train wrecks, plane crashes, tornadoes and other disasters More good info on this page: http://www.nasar.org/nasar/sar_dog_fact_sheet.php

Whoaaa - just found a whole list of TRUE stories you can use for ideas about just what these teams do!
http://www.absarokasearchdogs.org/incidents/index.php

And this website is written for younger kids but it is a pretty good overview:
http://jcsda.com/kids/

Let's stick to Search and RESCUE for the subject of the story - save a child, an older person, a hiker, a survivor of a disaster. The Cadaver dogs already had their day Razz In other words, I'm looking for the HEA ending the romance writers strive for - Happily Ever After that is. The person is found and safely returned YAY (they can be dehydrated or have a broken leg or something but lets not kill anybody this weekend) LOL.
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished mine, but I was wondering where you want me to post it? Here? Or would you like me to PM it to you? Or both?

Bratterratt Very Happy
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it. Very Happy
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, ok, maybe I'll post it here. I don't think I will be able to tonight though, 'cause it's on the other computer...

Bratterratt Very Happy
Bratterratt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind! Here it is!

Bravery: A Search and Rescue Story
A young male German Shepherd lay beneath the polished, cherry red mahogany desk, his ears up, alert, but resting. The sound of the door opening made the Shepherd, Hawk, lift his head, his upper lip pulling up ever so slightly to reveal a set of gleaming white teeth.His handler, a middle aged man known as Tyler Rydel, entered, and Hawk hid his fangs, no longer suspicious. The phone rang, a sharp unpleasant sound, and Tyler stepped forward to answer it.

"Hello?" -the man answered, holding the old white phone up to his ear. Hawk looked up, though made not a sound, as his dark ears swiveled side to side.

"We're on our way," -Tyler finished, hanging up the phone. "Hawk, lets get going," -the handler called, pulling on his fleece jacket. The Shepherd didn't need any further encouragement, and within a second, he was by the man's side, eager to work.

Grabbing the dark leash from a hook near the door, the two headed out. Hawk leapt up into the passenger seat of the black Escalade with large yellow lettering across the side reading “Search and Rescue” while Tyler slid into the driver’s position. Pulling out of the garage, dog and handler were soon on the road, headed towards their next search. They reached the river side quickly, the small crowd of law enforcement personnel waiting for their arrival. Hawk waited patiently as Tyler exited the Escalade and came around to the passenger door. Clipping the leash to the Shepherd’s leather collar, Tyler gestured for him to jump down. Hawk did as instructed and immediately stepped to his handler’s side. A large, balding man approached the two, tugging up the belt on which his holster was attached.

“Give me the updates Carl,” –Tyler said, without a greeting. The man stroked his mustache and nodded, glancing down at Hawk.

“It’s good to see you again too, Rydel,” –the man, Carl, replied in a gruff voice. Tyler did not comment, only gave the other man a disapproving stare.

“Fine. Like I told you on the phone, the little girl went missing around two hours ago. The father thinks there’s a possibility she fell into the river, though no one is sure. The description says she’s around three years old, with short brown hair, green eyes, you get the picture. You’re going to have to hurry if he’s going to find her before night fall,” –Carl gestured towards the patient Hawk, while glancing up nervously at the thickly clouded sky. Tyler nodded and slung the backpack that held the first aid supplies in it over his back.

“We’ll get going now,” –the man assured shortly, then with a soft click of his tongue, signaled the waiting shepherd.

As they passed the others, Hawk’s keen attention caught sight of them. They were a young couple, a man and woman, who stood, embracing each other, both looking heartbroken and distraught. The husband whispered soothing words to his wife, as tears flowed freely down her pale face, onto his shirt. Their daughter was missing, and Hawk would not fail.

Dog and handler moved down the river bed, until they were far from the group’s sight. The dusky light made it difficult for Tyler to see much but flowing water and rocks, but it did not hinder Hawk’s. The Shepherd was off leash now, and tried desperately to find the scent he was looking for, but the hour passed, and the little girl was still unfound.

Dark began to close in, and it was all Tyler could do to keep from losing his position and falling into the river himself. Hawk was beginning to feel the heavy, burdening weight of discouragement, but he still persevered on.

A soft, childlike whimper made the Shepherd pull to an abrupt stop mid-stride, ears up and listening.

“What is it, Hawk?” –Tyler asked, able now only to see the dark, shadow-like form of the dog a few feet ahead of him.

Hawk replied merely with a throaty scuff and then gathering himself on his powerful haunches, broke into a lope.

“Hawk! Come!” –Tyler called, his deep voice hinted with worry and frantic. The handler waited in the dark for a moment, but did not see the dark form returning to his side as he stood.

“Hawk!” –the man called, cupping his hands around his mouth, so as the sound could carry farther. He waited and then called again several times, though to no avail. Slipping the pack off of his back, Tyler blindly rummaged inside it for a flashlight, which he found after several moments of searching. Flipping on the switch, the man scanned the nearby river bed, but there was no trace of his companion and partner.

Hawk loped silently through the dark, his attention and passion all focused on finding the lost child. With his nose pressed to the slippery, wet rocks, a relieving scent reached the Shepherd. Finally, he had the trail. The lope from there was shorter than Hawk expected, as the leading scent ended at the water’s edge. The Shepherd lifted his sleek head, with a sudden realization that he would have to cross the murky, rushing river.

A moment’s hesitation was all the dog needed, and without another thought, he plunged into the frigid, coursing waves. Battling against the forceful current, Hawk struggled to move across, his paws attempting to find purchase on the smooth, cold bottom. Another step and the Shepherd’s dark head disappeared below the surface, as now, the river was too deep for him to stand. But still Hawk did not falter. Straining himself to continually swim forward, the Shepherd did just that, kicking one powerful leg infront of the other.

The current strengthened as Hawk reached the river’s center. Again and again, it brought him under its dark depths. Time after time, the dog struggled for breath when it was not there. Then, just when Hawk had been about to give way to the forceful water, the familiar feeling of rock beneath his paws made him press onward. Finally, after what had seemed like hours of fighting the river, Hawk pulled his drenched and dripping self from the current and onto the rock covered river bank.

Though thoroughly exhausted and aching from the intense cold, Hawk forced himself to stand. Shaking his coat, the Shepherd panted for air, his structure trembling ever so slightly. Yet now, it was time to search again.

Taking in a deep inhale, Hawk’s quivering nose sought out the child’s scent once again. There it was. With a renewed determination, the dog followed the trail for the second time.

As he got closer, the scent grew stronger and Hawk’s step grew eager. A tiny, sobbing cry reached Hawk’s upright ears and finally, the Shepherd stride came to a stop.

A large, jagged boulder sat amongst others of its size, creating a small, den-like space, the perfect size for a young child. Hawk barked sharply and listened with a cocked head for a reply. A terrified whimper slipped from between the boulders and excitedly, Hawk knew with a surety that the lost child had been found.

A little dark head popped out from between the boulders and a pair of big, tear-filled green eyes met Hawk’s glinting mahogany ones.

“Doggy,” –a soft, child’s voice beckoned as the pudgy outstretched hands reached for the Shepherd. Hawk stepped forward and the girl’s arms wrapped tightly around his damp, silky neck. The child shivered, her teeth chattering together, as she latched herself to Hawk’s large body. The Shepherd slipped between the boulders and curled himself protectively around the clinging child’s body. The little girl squirmed closer to Hawk, seeking warmth, as the chill night air bit sharply at the two. The dog sighed softly, his tired head by the child’s, taking in her welcoming scent, for now, all was well.

By now night had come, and Tyler could not search for the missing Hawk anymore. Dejected and depressed, the man returned to the waiting group, empty handed. The mother’s cries were all most too much for Tyler to stand, as he set the back pack where Hawk usually would sit. As the man pulled into the garage, he sat in the Escalade, head against the steering wheel, unable to bring himself to move. Tyler felt as though half of himself was missing, the worry was overwhelming. That night he did not sleep, unable to, not knowing wither or not Hawk, his partner, was alright.

Daylight streamed in through the space between the boulders, onto the wakening Hawk. The Shepherd brought his head up, and peered down at the child. The little girl slept peacefully, balled up beside him, her small hands grasping his fur. She yawned softly, then rubbed her sleepy eyes with tiny fists, as Hawk watched, his dark head cocked.

“Hi Doggy,” –the child murmured, her speech slurred slightly with sleep. Hawk whined, gently nudging the girl as she batted his nose away.

Hawk’s ears came up abruptly as he heard footsteps not far from the boulders in which they were nestled. The Shepherd bared his ivory teeth, emitting a warning growl, as he stood and slinked out of the space, guarding the make-shift den.

“Hawk!” –a familiar voice called and Hawk barked loudly, eagerly in reply.

Tyler’s head turned sharply to see the dark Shepherd standing a ways off, his bushy tail wagging excitedly.

“Hawk!” –Tyler called again, his voice filled with relief. The Shepherd bounded towards his handler, running as fast as was possible. Tyler bent down and Hawk ran into the man’s eagerly outstretched arms. It was a joyous reunion, but it could only last a moment.

Hurriedly, Hawk skittered out of Tyler’s reach, sounding a deep, commanding bark, as he looked up intelligently at the man.

“Lead the way,” –Tyler responded with a nod and gladly Hawk did. The little girl crawled out from between the boulders, led by the Shepherd. She caught sight of her parents and with an excited squeal, toddled way from Hawk.

“Daddy! Mamma!” –she cried as she was swept up into their longing arms. Tyler’s hand fell to rest on Hawk’s black head, as well as his proud gaze.

“Good work, as usual Rydel,” –Carl congratulated, lumbering towards the two with a wide grin.

“Thank you,” –Tyler said simply, stroking Hawk’s ears.

Carl nodded, then took to shouting orders at the others as he yanked up his holster. Tyler bent down on his knees, to be at eye level with the Shepherd hero.

“You did good today,” –Tyler murmured, rubbing Hawks head affectionately. The Shepherd replied with a deep throaty sound and a slight twitch of his tail.

“Let’s go home,” –Tyler chuckled, standing. Hawk barked eagerly, then trotted after his handler, a hero yet again.
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, not one of my best pieces, but I had fun writing it!

Bratterratt
Very Happy
Cocodri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: And I had fun reading it Reply with quote

And yes - please, just post them here unless there is a rule against it - so we can all enjoy them.
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is my entry. I would have liked to have made some more improvements, but I was caught by that word limit! It's exactly 1,000. NOTE: I know the water part resembles Bratt's story, but I actually came up with it before even I read her story.

Can't Stop Those Newfoundlands!

Baron is a massive Newfoundland. He’s solid black, from nose to tail, excepting his deep, soulful brown eyes. His coat is shaggy and soft. He is big boned, with large, scruffy paws. Baron’s head is tremendous, with a broad skull and impressive jowls.
Baron is a very special dog. Not just to me, 19-year-old Eric Welch, but to all the people he’s saved. That’s because Baron is a search and rescue dog. He finds people that are lost or are caught in dangerous situations, and gets them help.
It was in the spring of 2009 that I got a call asking for Baron’s tracking services. I was given an address to a rural home, where a 10-year-old boy had gone missing. Apparently he went out on a routine walk with his Border Collie pup, into the nearby forest. By nightfall they still hadn’t returned. Now, the morning after, Baron and another search and rescue dog were called to the scene.
“Baron!” I called, as I snapped my modest cell phone shut. The Newfoundland bustled into the room, his ears pricked. He kept a hopeful eye on me, as I smiled and slipped my phone into my jacket pocket. I snatched Baron’s leather leash off the nearby countertop, and started to the front door. Baron, his suspicions confirmed, barked his deep, melodic bark, and swaggered after me. I opened the door and we went through together. I breathed in the fresh spring scents of the outdoors, and went for my pickup truck. Baron trotted on ahead of me, and upon reaching the truck he turned to look at me. I knew what he was thinking: “Hurry up!” I hustled along, muttering, but the slightest smile crept up on my lips. I laid my hand on Baron’s head as I came by his side. I dug the keys out of my pocket and opened the door, motioning with my hand for Baron to climb in. He complied, taking a bold leap and dragging his huge self onto the passenger’s seat. Rolling my eyes, I got in the driver’s seat and slammed the door shut. Baron could have gone in the back, but he preferred special treatment.
I soon got the engine running and we were on the road. In my hand were the directions, which I had scribbled on some scrap paper. It took about twenty minutes of driving, but at last I spotted the weathered wooden sign that said, “Twisted Creek Farm.”
I pulled into the dirt driveway and jumped out of the truck. Baron sauntered after me, leaping down with no assistance. I clipped the leather leash to his blue collar, which was crafted out of thick nylon bands. Baron looked up at me and wagged his black plume of a tail. I gave him a friendly pat and turned to dig his red search and rescue vest out from underneath the driver’s seat. Snapping it into place on Baron, I strode forward, heading toward another vested dog and his female handler.
“Are you Eric?” the woman asked, and I nodded in assent. The woman reached out a hand to Baron, who gave it a polite lick. “Well, I’m Irene,” she said with a smile. I looked down at her dog, a sweet-looking Golden Retriever.
Looking back up at Irene, I said, “Nice to meet you. Are we ready to go?”
“Yes, I’ve told the Captain, and he said it would be best for us to split up. Lots of ground to cover.” Irene then held out a crumpled shirt to me, saying, “Baron should be able to pick up the kid’s scent from this.” I took the T-shirt and held it in front of Baron’s nose. He sniffed it intently for a few moments, then gave a low woof, signaling that he was ready.
“Alright, I’ll go this way, then,” I said, pointing to the woods at the back of the house. Irene nodded, choosing a different part of the forest.
As soon as I entered the woods, Baron got a lead. He barked and strained at his leash, forcing me to quicken my pace to a jog. Baron was leading me deeper into the trees when I heard the sound of running water. Baron headed straight for the noise, and soon I saw a swollen, frothing river. At the bank Baron stopped and sniffed around, apparently at a loss. I sighed disappointedly; a dead end.
Suddenly Baron began a barrage of excited barking, and I followed his gaze across the water. There, huddled on a protruding rock in the middle of the river, was the lost child. A small black and white mass told me that the pup was with him. I turned around and yelled for others, while Baron kept his eye on the kid. “We’ve got to get him out or-” Baron suddenly bolted, ripping the leash out of my hands and severing my sentence. “Baron!” I roared, but the Newfoundland leaped right into the river and began swimming toward the stranded child.
I was afraid that he wouldn’t make it; the current was so strong it almost swept him away. But Baron kept swimming, and at last he reached the rock on which the child lay. I watched as the boy wrapped his shivering hands tightly around Baron’s collar. The child motioned toward his puppy. Baron gently picked the pup up in his jaws, and then turned to face the torrent again. He plunged in, with the child hanging onto his neck and the pup held above the waters in his mouth. I cried out encouragement as he paddled back and deposited both boy and puppy safely on the rocky bank. The boy, trembling with cold, smiled crookedly. “I told him to bring us back, and he did it.”
It turned out that the pup had fallen in the river, and the boy had jumped in to save him. They were both in bad shape, but recovered quickly, thanks to Baron’s good timing.

Last edited by Fire Opal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Cowgirls Rule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will enter. It might take me a bit, but I'll enter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Contests & Community Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: