Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Personal Information Posts Updated with link.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
~*Farmer Jane*~

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystie wrote:
~*Farmer Jane*~ wrote:
I know! I mean... it'll go like this:
Wierd guy: blah blah.... Oh. Cool. You like in Michigan?
Girl who gives out personal nfo: Yup
WG: Cool! ME TOO! What city!?
GWGOPI: (some city)
WG: OMG! ME TOO! What rOad!?
GWGOPI: (some road)
WG: ME TOO! What house? Do we know Each otHer?
GWGOPI: house 12345. you?
WG: (leaVes to go kidnapp you)

Yeah. That would be bad!
(sORy about the caps lock Thing, it Doesn't WOrk) Embarassed

LMAO Only sometimes when the GWGOPI is very stupid.

I meant.... very gradualy Embarassed
lil T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Information Posts Reply with quote

Jinxx wrote:
I'm tired of seeing them. It goes from a simple, what do you like to people posting what's your gender, what's your age, pictures and everything in between.

Each of these seperately are harmless but when you piece them all together they start to show a 'picture' of the person posting the information. That 'picture' generates interest from those looking to prey on children. A pm one gets saying, 'Oh, I'm a 13 year old girl and I live in blahblah. Where in blahblah do you live?', MIGHT NOT BE who they're saying they are.

I will start to delete personal information posts.
hudk
animal_mad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin899 wrote:
--Agree's! Very Happy

I think its kinda creepy people would post their pictures on here anyway, because, probably, none of us really care what they look like, as long as they are friendly, and a loyal SBF Buddy! --No offense to anyone...-- As for gender, thats really not so personal so I'm not afraid to post that, but age is pretty personal. You really don't no for sure if some of these people are lying or not. Hopefully everyone will remember to only give out personal info if you are POSTIVE you trust them. You probably shouldn't anyways..

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this! It's probably for the best

if i posted a picture of me on here everyone would be scared off SBF for life!
Why would anyone kidnap someone anyway... thats the sick part... i think your definitely right to post this...
Skyelette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually met a girl from the same hometown as me on a random message board. That was kinda cool. I also met my fiancee through a game. Not everyone is a stalker. Some of us are just curious people. I think if you are under 18, it is your parents job to teach you the dangers and to control your internet time and content. Leaving a forum moderator to keep your kids safe just seems irresponsible to me.
Jinxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem being most of our players are under 18. And yes, I agree the parents should be more responsible in what their children do online but the sad part is most of them are not. As moderators we can only do what we can and since there's no way of knowing for a fact *sayings one is doesn't mean it's so* the age of players it's easier to remove all personal information posts.
Meryck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyelette

Quote:
I also met my fiancee through a game. Not everyone is a stalker.

I met my bf online as well. He's a very kind, loving, generous man, and wouldn't hurt a fly.. cliche, but true. He actually told me he won't kill spiders for me, but would rather catch them and turn them out of the house away form me.. like they wouldn't be right back! *shudder*

And no not everyone is a stalker, but about the time you think "no way not me" then guess what? its you! I'm NOT a child, and I have had it happen. And if it can happen to an adult, it can happen to a child.

Quote:
Some of us are just curious people. I think if you are under 18, it is your parents job to teach you the dangers and to control your internet time and content. Leaving a forum moderator to keep your kids safe just seems irresponsible to me.

Kids are curious too. And how many kids, do you know who ALWAYS does what they are told they should do, and NEVER does what they are told they shouldn't do?

Have I taught my son about safety etc? certianly. Both online and off. Do I trust he will always follow the rules put in place to keep him safe? nu uh! I'd be extremely foolish if I did! I do NOT leave it up to moderators to kepe my kids safe. However, I also don't expect moderators to be deliberately lax and uncaring of my kids safety.

You can't be with kids 24/7. You an't personally sit and guard them, and hold their hand, and keep them safe. At some point, sometime, somewhere, you have to let go, and hope that you taught them well enough, and hope that there are nice, decent peopel out there that they will interact with, to help guide them along when they will no longer listen to you.

I do not RELY on anyone to kepe him safe online, but I DO screen games before he plays, and I dont let him on forums etc unless I see that they are atleast relatively clean, and unless I see that there is an active mod or two, and that they do their job and try to keep the boards clean and safe. THIS is what protecting them online is, I could easily ban him form computers all together, on the gounds he would then be safe, but he has to interact sometime, somewhere.

Also, he is not allowed on forums, unless I, or his grandmother, are with him. This is a set rule, yet another I have in place to try to protect him. But as stated bfore, kids don't always listen and obey. I like to know that if he disobeys and gets on here without me around, that he isn't going tosee some perverted kind of crap or somehting because the mods do their job here.

IMO this is one of a mods main jobs/funcitons on a public forum, to keep it clean and safe for everyone. If you want to share personal info, you are free to use pm's, so its not like they ban you from chatting freely. I honstly don't see what the problem is, in retaining your perosnal informaiton form a public forum, you have no idea who might be lurking on here, reading everything, never posting, so you have no CLUE if they are a psycho or not.

Some people, just have no sence of self preservation. Which is fine, just don't gripe because others do.
~*~*RubyGirl*~*~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Meryck most teenagers do exactly what their parents tell them not to do. I mean if a teenagers parent say "Don't read that book" the first thing the teenager will do is pick up the book and read it. So if parents say "Don't give out personal information over the Internet" the same thing is likely to happen. If someone claims to be your friend and asks for your personal information you should tell them to call you and tell them over the phone. It's much safer!!!
wickedrodent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby... that is NOT much safer.. someone can track your phone number to get your state/province/area SO quickly.. Dont give out your phone number.. its really really unsafe!
Maya Parker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really scary what can happen we watched a videos on the internet [at school]based on true stories 1 of them was true. The one girl ran away with this guy she didn't even know! She got in his truck and they just ran away. There was another one that showed just how easy it is that in just 20 minutes someone can find out where you live, you're phone number, where you go to school, everything! It was so creepy!
~*~*RubyGirl*~*~

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wickedrodent wrote:
Ruby... that is NOT much safer.. someone can track your phone number to get your state/province/area SO quickly.. Dont give out your phone number.. its really really unsafe!
No. I mean if it's your friend they should already have your phone number! If not then call them or email them just don't give it out over a website! If you have to wait to see them in person! I didn't mean give your phone number out.
Marisa444

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystie wrote:
Yeah, i know the dangers for sure and I am weary.. however i have posted my picture and info about myself. I understand about the piecing together and creating a picture thing but yeah - kidnapping is a bit too far ahead i think. That only happens when you give someone your full address/school/phone number etc. and only if you tell it to the wrong person, but without that it would be very hard to trace a persons whole life.

i agree but name & age not a BIG affect or issue it's like people saying yah i live in minisota! i just wnt to say what another person said i forgot who said it but it was, "just go jump through a criminal's window."(which i don't to cold for my fam!) Very Happy Sad Laughing Surprised Shocked Cool Razz
Crazy Person23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow now i'm really glad that i don't have an uploader or something so i can't put pics on the internet...my dad would kill me....then my sis would kill me....well you get the basic point my family would killme! lol jk but really i'm not allowed to tell personal info and i never really understood before but now i get it i should go thank my dad for putting up with my whining
me: dad all my friends get to tell thier age!
yes i now understand thanks
MisLin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was concerned her son wasn't understanding the danger. I showed him how quickly I could find him online....and I'm just average with computers. Soemtimes you'll use the same email address or screen name...if you have a certain way of writing, that can be identified.

It's really scary!
ChocolateGal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 mins, it's pretty scary.. though it does give us an insight more into how quickly we can be tracked, quite scary..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: