Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Betta Fish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Betta Fish Reply with quote

Ok, so yesterday my family and I went to get 4 betta fish. We got 2 males and 2 females. So I know males can not be together but I think females can. Does anyone know the best way to introduce the two females to each other? I would really apreciate this. Also is it required to feed it like 2-3 time daily because somewhere it said that as to something else it said 2-3 times a week so which is it? Please if you have any answers post here and thanks.
Tiger_lily

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a male in with a small angel separated, i feed him a small amount twice a day, but he has 2 Japaneses shrimp in with them.

the best thing to is is find a forum online for bettas and ask them
LHUhannah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 8 female bettas together in a 10 gallon at one point. Anytime I would add one in I would make sure there was alot of room so that they could get away, and a lot of plants and ornaments, so that they could hide. You do not want to put two females together in a tiny bowl with nowhere to hide.

Then make sure you watch them for about an hour interacting so that you can intervene if something goes sour. There will no doubt be some nipping here and there, but I've found some females can be vicious, so keep a net close by.

I used to feed my bettas (male and female) betta food ince a day, no more then they could eat in two minutes. You don't want too much food falling to the bottom and decomposing or ou will have an ammonia spike that is not safe for the fish. Bettas also have very bad memories so they will always act like they are hungry, even if they have already eaten. So be caewful not to give into those little lying betta eyes.

Good luck, Hannah
Jaenelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betta's don't generally need to be fed a whole lot, especailly if they are in a tank without filtration. I work in a fish store (Big Als, dunno if anyones ever heard of it...) and we normally recommend 2-3 pellets (per fish) once a day. As crule as it may sound its always better to under feed then over feed. That way you prevent major waste build-up in your tank, which could potentially harm the fish.

A single male can be kept with 2 or more females. We always recommend the ratio of 3 females to one male, that way is spreds out his "attention" and wont utterly exhaust the female. Its doubtful (though not impossible) they will actually breed in this situation, so I dont think you'd have to worry too much about babies.

Females are not generally territorial so releasing them both into the water at the same time would be fine, just be sure to aclimate them first.

While males can be kept with other fish, it can often lead to problems because they are slow swimmers and their fins look mighty tasty to other fish. It usually results in the male have his lovely fins nibbled on, giving a shreded appearence. This happens especially with agressive fish such as angels (when they reach maturity).

And to contradicte the old "wives tale" that betta's don't need much space because that what they deal with in the wild. Most wild betta's live in rice fields, and slow moving streams. So while they can live in small bowls, etc. its actually better for them to have a larger space with very little water disturbance (ie. a gentle filter)
Charlie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, this has helped a bunch. But my father put like 10 pellets of food in their bowl when I told him he shouldn't because it's only what they are able to eat in a few minutes. He thinks they are like flakes or something but I fished them out after the fish didn't eat them. Once more, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: