Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Who loves bunnies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Who loves bunnies? Reply with quote

I am so excited right now! I went to a horse sale yesterday and they had some bunnies that they were selling. My friend wanted one but she was too embarrassed to hold her number up so I held it up next thing you know a bunny is being handed to us! (what a run-on sentence) She is a baby dwarf-dutch cross (we think). She is a brown and gray mixture kinda salt and pepper.She is so sweet and loving. The deal is that she would come to my house until Monday and think I would take her back to my friend's house. My parents and I love her so much that we might keep her though.Her name is Sugarbaby and I really hope that we get to keep her. My poodle loves her but wehave to watch them really closely when they're together. If any of you readers have any suggestions on snacks,toys,litter training,or things abut a rabbits health please pos here. Thank you for reading this! Smile
greenpen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i LOVE bunnies! I have a little dwarf lop and his name is Charlie. He is sssssssoooooo sweet and i wouldn't change him for the world! Very Happy

Just one thing to remember is the temperature if he is an outdoor bunny. (Charlie is). If it gets too cold then put a blanket over the front of the hutch to shield it from the wind/rain/cold. Or if it gets too hot, always make sure that there is enough water in the bottle.
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We are pretty sure that we are keeping her in the house since she is so small.She is living in my dog's cage the wires are just close enough together so she can't get out.We are giving her water in a bowl right now but we might switch to the bottle if she knocks it over too much. Smile
greenpen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecelia wrote:
Thanks! We are pretty sure that we are keeping her in the house since she is so small.She is living in my dog's cage the wires are just close enough together so she can't get out.We are giving her water in a bowl right now but we might switch to the bottle if she knocks it over too much. Smile

I tried the bowl tecnique first, but it soon turned into a bottle when i walked out one day and the whole side of the hutch was drenched! Laughing
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah I hope that doesn't happen to us! She only weighs like 2 pounds and the bowl's pretty heavy. Confused
Drmchaser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbits love to chew, they will chew anything in site and they can do a lot of damage if they aren't watched carefully. You will need to get rabbit chews for it to chew on, it needs them becasue the front teeth are always growing and they need the chews to keep the teeth ground down, if they get too long, the rabbit won't be able to eat. There are certain things you cannot feed to it because they are toxic to a bunny. Here is a link to foods that are toxic to a rabbit.

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

Here is a list of veggies and plants that they can eat
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Hay is essential to a rabbit's good health, providing roughage which reduces the danger of hairballs and other blockages. Apple tree twigs also provide good roughage.

If you need any other info you can find it here
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Drmchaser! We are using hay as her bedding right now and she is constantly chewing on it! We are mainly feeding her pellets and carrots! We have a branch for her to chew on but I'll see if we can get her an apple branch if that would be better! Smile
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecelia wrote:
Thanks so much Drmchaser! We are using hay as her bedding right now and she is constantly chewing on it! We are mainly feeding her pellets and carrots! We have a branch for her to chew on but I'll see if we can get her an apple branch if that would be better! Smile

Her main diet should be hay, not pellets and certainly not carrots. Carrots are high sugar and can cause diabetes, not to mention loose stool (as can too much fruit or lettuce). Pellets aren't that great in terms of nutrition. Your bunny shouldn't have more than maybe 1/4 cup of pellets per day. He should have hay at all times and of course water.

Bunnies need regular exercise, so be sure to get him out of his cage for the majority of the day. House bunnies can live well over 12 years, outdoor bunnies naturally much less. There are lots of things outdoors that can harm a bunny, and they can scare themselves into having a heart attack very easily. Bunnies are much better off indoors. You (or your friend, whoever keeps him) will also want to get him neutered. It'll diminish his desire to spray and reduce a lot of aggression that can occur with unaltered bunnies.

I recommend reading up here: http://www.rabbit.org/ The House Rabbit Society is the leading expert group on proper rabbit care. Bunny care is far more complex than "throw pellets in the cage every day". They require just as much time and attention as a cat- yearly vet checks, regular grooming, exercise and attention, nail trimming, keeping their teeth worn down, etc. A lot end up in shelters (or worse, set loose or killed) because people don't realize how extensive their needs are. Please please please do your research and don't just leave the poor bunny sitting in a cage all day.
Cecelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for everything kholran! We are getting her out of her cage like every hour but we can't keep that up while I'm school! I think we gave her too many pellets today so she is going to the bathroom everywhere! (that is totally my fault) She will definitely not end up in a shelter! We're not sure if we are getting her spayed or not. She is in the house so she won't have babies at least. She has access to hay and water at all times and she hasn't eaten any of the carrots that we have offered her.
We are trying to litter box train her but that seems like it's gonna be difficult. If you have any ideas on litter training they would be appreciated! Smile
Chilly Girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenpen wrote:
Cecelia wrote:

I tried the bowl tecnique first, but it soon turned into a bottle when i walked out one day and the whole side of the hutch was drenched! Laughing

Well, my bunny (AnnaBell, a dwarf) never has flipped over her bowl, we thought she would but she never does. It isn't even a heavy bowl, thin plastic is what it is, and she doesn't chew that either, although she's perfectly healthy.

One wierd rabbit, I'll tell ya that!
Fire Opal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I've only had hamsters and one gerbil before. Rabbits must be similar.
LouLou07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning,Do not give rabbits edexcel pellets (they make their poos go soft, then they stick to your rabbit)
I have 3 rabbits lol, they are all lionheads and are gorgeous. I used to a dwarf lop but we had to give him away as he attacked my mum. Mine live in my conservatory so get plenty of exercise, especially as Herbie the only boy loves chasing the girls (he's neutered though). The girls aren't spayed yet as they were rescue rabbits and the rescue centres vet is ill at the moment). BTW you should spay her as rabbits can get cancers etc an will die earlier if not spayed, but it is very expensive, I payed £120 or $240 for my 2 boys about £60 or $120 each and females are more expensive.

Fire opal: Rabbits are nothing like hamsters or gerbils they are more like dogs as they have big personalities and Herbie(my male one) even knows his name and comes running up to me. And the sliding door into my lounge, he loves trying to get in.
KaylaBlue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, I love rabbits.

Last edited by KaylaBlue on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilly Girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to pay $800 to get my female bunny spayed. My vet is expensive!
LouLou07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I don't have to pay for my two female rabbits to be spayed, as they aren't mine yet as they are rescue bunnies, but we have to pay an adoption fee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: