Management Farm House
My Farm
Rescue
Marketplace
Trades
Contracts
Bids
Help
Stop chatterin' and return to my farmin'!
Community

SearchSearch Forum & Players   MemberlistMemberlist 
 My FarmMy Farm   Log in to check PMLog in to check PM   

Problem rabbit please do the poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the photo of Barney...
Really cute
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
cute
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
OK
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
horrible
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

LouLou07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Problem rabbit please do the poll Reply with quote

One of my rabbits attacks my mum and if he can't get at my mum my other rabbit. He is a pedigree dwarf lop so he could get his bad behaviour from his parents. If he doesn't improve soon he will have to be put down. Does anyone know how to make him behave. (photos at bottom of this page)

Last edited by LouLou07 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
luckygirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really. My bunny was well behaved.
Queso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has bunnies, and when they misbehave she squirts them with a water bottle. Mabey that would work with yours.
LouLou07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it and he's not bothered about it
Kholran
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried distracting him? Rabbits are very easily distracted by loud noises. The minute you see him move, clap or make some other loud, sudden noise. It's usually enough to turn them from whatever they're doing. If that doesn't work, is there any way to separate him from everyone? If he has a problem with your mother, the most logical solution is to keep them away from each other. Same goes for the other rabbit.

The shelter rabbit expert has assured me that rabbits are not aggressive for no reason. There's always some underlying reason for an aggressive rabbit, be it a medical problem or an environmental problem. I'd get him/her checked out by a vet to rule out medical problems, and to make sure he/she is healthy. Make sure the vet you take him/her to regularly is also an exotic vet. Rabbits are very different from other domestic animals, and need specialized vet care.
LouLou07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum has to keep a eye on him while im at school so there is no way of seperating them and the other rabbit is perfectely fine but is terrified of loud noises but i will give it a go. he's been to the vets afew times and the vet hasn't found anything wrong but it could be because he's very dominent and usely attacks my mum when she's moving something in the hutch or doing anything near him. He also does to many soft poos (the ones they are supposed to eat) but he has been on no greens for a while and only a few pellets but its not stopped.
Ahkahna
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is he neutered?

intact male rabbits are aggressive (can be) and over time after neutering they calm down.
Cowgirls Rule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my neighbor has a bunny that we sometimes take care of and he lachted on to my finger once and bit me really hard.
Chilly Girl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any other type animal, such as a dog, cat or ferret, if the rabbit can smell these type animals on your mom, he could think she is a predater going to hurt him. I would NEVER squirt my own rabbit with a water bottle, that is MEAN!! How long have you had him for, if it is under 3 months, he is probably still scared of everything. The more time you can spend with him, the better, he needs to get used to you.
Try and figure out wich foods are his favorite, when you figure it out, let your mom give this food to the rabbit once a day, then the rabbit will assosiate your mom with a yummy treat, therefore your mom will mean something good is going to happen.
You should take him out of the cage for 1-3 hours a day. When you take him out, put him in a small, quiet room with you and your mom. Let him go where ever he wants to go in this room. Do NOT approach him, pretend he is not there and sit in the middle of the room, hardly moving at all and not talking at all. You should probably bring a book to read. The first day, he will probably just sit in a corner, terrified, but as time progresses, he will come up to you, curious. When this happens, pay no attetion to him at all. Do not pet him. If you think he is going to bite, move, slightly. After about a month, he will look forward to this and you will probably be able to give him a treat or gently pet him. It seems like slow progress, but it is worth it and it works, I did it with my own rabbit, and she loves me for it!
Very Happy
Also, if your mom puts perfume on, this might scare the rabbit as many strong smells do. I suggest washing hands before and after handling.

WOW, that was a mouthful!! Very Happy

Tell me if you are going to try this and if it helps, pm me if you have any other questions.
swatch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear thick gardening gloves and hold him every day give him a carrot but take it away if he bite or is badley behaved .
He just needs to gain your trust don`t squirt him with a water bottle as this will just frighten him , he bites because he is scared .

do you think this will help ?
LouLou07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touchwood he's been a lot better today. We have stopped feeding him pellets because he we think he may be sensitive to too much protein (he has been producing excess caecotrophs). I wonder if he has had tummy ache with this making him more aggresive. Both of my rabbits are neutered and I've had them about 4 months. He has been very curious today when I've had him in the conservatory (they have a lot of time in their big outside run or in the conservatory usually at least 2 hours). We do have a cat but she's scared of them as they love chasing her. We have also started giving him Bachs Flower Rescue Remedy which is supposed to be calming.
Thanks for all the help
Chilly Girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear he is doing better Very Happy
Nahvar and Skittles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad to hear ur bunnies doing better cheeky my bunny missbehaves all the time then we got him nutered and he's a lot better! Very Happy Razz i like this color
LouLou07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres Barney's photo

and heres Herbie (my other rabbit) when i first got him
LouLou07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barney is being really friendly today at the moment he's in my conservatory and is approaching me when he sees me. He is also following me so thats good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    sandboxfarm Forum Index -> Chicken Chatter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: